Books/Series

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I have been reading the Rift War series by Raymond Feist and I'm waiting for the next one..... damn these writers, they have to learn to write faster than I read.... haha

Every Gencon and Origins, I stop by the booth Margaret Weis has and buy her latest book, I always tell her to write faster because I am running out of things to read. Dragonlance is one of the series that I read, but mostly just the books Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman write, some by Jean Rabe and Douglas Niles.

The animated movie is coming out the fall... woo hoo....

The Dune prequels have been very good, better than the originals.....
The books explain the history of mentats, spice, House Atreides and House Harkonnen connections, the Fremen and the Bene Gesserit, among other things.
I have just started on the sequels that have come out.

There are four prequel books for the Amber series by Roger Zelazny, these are written by John Gregory Betancourt. These are pretty good and explain a lot of the back story. I haven't read the fourth one yet (Shadows of Amber), I must be slipping.

I also really got into the Star Wars Rouge Squadron series by Michael Stackpool and the Bounty Hunter series about Bobba Fett by K. W. Jeter.

I just ordered the "new" J.R.R. Tolkien book The Children of Húrin, it is story unfinished by Tolkien, but finished by his son Christopher. Hope it's good.

Melkor

The Children of Hurin isn't really "finished" by Christopher so much as it is assembled by him from the different parts of the story that Tolkien wrote, most of which have been previously published in bits and pieces in other formats.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
She is always there. She has a booth for her company Sovereign Press.
Did you even get into the Exhibit hall?

N

Nightstalkers

Oh... I met her... she gave me this charred piece of paper... crap... should have gotten her to sign a book or something.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
How many books are in the Riftwar world now? My brother has copies of the original printings, which are from 1982... I know there's Betrayal at Krondor (which was made into an award-winning computer game) and a couple of others, but I didn't think he was still writing in that setting...

I read the original Dragonlance and the sequel trilogy and a couple of the short story books but got burned out by them. There's an animated movie coming out based on it?

I read some of the Dune books but never really got into them... fantasy is more my preference.

I also loved the Rogue Squadron series but was borrowing them from a friend... when he left, no more books and I didn't feel the inclination to go out and get some :) I also have one of the Bounty Hunter books and thought it was okay.

Glanced over the Children of Hurin book a little but not sure I want to get into it just yet...

Haven't been reading anything lately... finished the last Harry Potter book several weeks ago but nothing has really grabbed me for now... although my brother also has the Myth series by Robert Aspirin and I started re-reading a couple books so I might get back into them...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Spiderman said:
How many books are in the Riftwar world now?
The Riftwar-Series:
Magician (1982) I assume this is Apprentice and Master together
Silverthorn (1985)
A Darkness at Sethanon (1986)

Serpentwar-Series:
Prince of the Blood (1989)
The King's Buccaneer (1992)

The Empire-Sequence:
written with Janny Wurts
Daughter of the Empire (1987)
Servant of the Empire (1990)
Mistress of the Empire (1992)

The Serpentwar-Saga:
Shadow of a Dark Queen (1994)
Rise of a Merchant Prince (1995)
Rage of a Demon King (1997)
Shards of a Broken Crown (1998)

The Riftwar Legacy:
Krondor the Betrayal (1998)
Krondor: the Assassins (September 1999)
Krondor: Tear of the Gods (2000)

The Conclave of Shadows:
Talon of the Silver Hawk (2003)
King of Foxes (2004)
Exile's Return (2005)

The Darkwar Saga
Flight of the Nighthawks
Into a Dark Realm (2007)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Spiderman said:
although my brother also has the Myth series by Robert Aspirin and I started re-reading a couple books so I might get back into them...
There is new one out that my wife just got me, I haven't read it yet. He just started writing them again about 1-2 years ago.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Cool. I read the Graphic novel of the first book (illustrated by Phil Foglio!) which brought back memories... looks like I have two series to look out for :)

T

train

I'm a fan of Weis and Hickman... very big on the Dragonlance series beginning with the Chronicles set... Got Legends, Tales, etc..

Man, I need to go back and re-read those!...

:cool:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
They are writing ones that fill in tales from that time period.

The trilogy about the Minotaurs is pretty good too.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I guess I don't really read series anymore. I used to read them a lot, but it's been a while.

Some of my favorites: Jack Vance's Gaean Reach books (multiple series in the same universe, really), The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov, The Rose of the Prophet by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, the Dune series by Frank Herbert, the Star of the Guardians series by Margaret Weis, the SERRAted Edge/Urban Fantasy series by Mercedes Lackey, The Darksword series by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, the Mag Force Seven series by Margaret Weis, the Starshield series by Margaret Weis, the Battletech books, the Dragonlance books...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Oversoul said:
Some of my favorites: Jack Vance's Gaean Reach books (multiple series in the same universe, really)
I really like Vance's writing, but I don't know this series..... I'll have to look it up.

So Oversoul, you seem to like a lot of Margaret's works..... I have read them to, but the Dragonlance seems to be her best.... even the Deathgate Series was just Dragonlance in a alternate future, but done well......

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I've read the Darksword and the Prophet series but didn't really like them (from what I vaguely remember).

ooo, I just remembered I do love the Belgariad by David Eddings. The second five and the other trilogy were okay, but not quite up to his original five.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
The Foundation series is great, as almost every SciFi book Asimoz ever wrote was tied into it..... very cool

Another really good series is the War of the Spider Queen that was produced by R.A. Salvatore. There is a different writer for every book, but you can see Salvatore's influence in them and they are very good. It follows a group of six drow, including some recently powerless priestesses, as they leave Menzoberranzan on their trip to find out the truth about Lolth's disappearance

They keep the idea of lawful, neutral and chaotic evil fairly true, but there are lapses into "good", but they are presented fairly well.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I was actually reading his stories about Drizzet, whoever the Barbarian is, whoever the Dwarf is, whoever the Halfling is, that whole party thing - I think it's his latest as it was out in hardback for a while, about how some orc chief tried to get control of some dwarf fortress back and how he allied with some Ice Giants... then he became more powerful and got the essence of Grumnsh in him... the dwarfs got beat a little but then held their own, but the orc chief gained a bunch of territory. So now the dwarfs can't get it back but neither can the orcs gain more...

Anyway, as I like dwarfs, it was one of the first I've seen/read that dealt with them in the Forgotten Realms... so I might go back and start from when the group first got together and all...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Sojourn (1991) By Salvatore is this first book that the dwarves are in.
It's part of the Dark Elf Trilogy (better yet, just get the trilogy)

Then get the Icewind Dale Trilogy

I recommend www.zooba.com to get these and other books for only $10 each, and they are hard back books..... The $10 includes shipping too......

I'm mooseman316 there.....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like I'm getting a Christmas list together... :)

Oversoul: Yeah, I read it. That was the "other series" I was referring to in
The second five and the other trilogy were okay...
:)

It was okay, but I thought it was too close to the Belgariad, character-wise. I mean, I guess you're always gonna have the "hulking" type (The Genianian knight and Barak), the wise-cracking/self-depracating guy (Stragan and Silk), the wizard-type )Polgara and Sephrania), etc.... but like I said, it was okay.