BOK: Cycle of Shoals

• Thread starter TheCasualOblivion
  • Start date
M

Mikeymike

Nourishing Shoal - Es terible!

Disrupting Shoal - WOTC Says: "We can't ever make a good 'Free' counter ever again. Never, ever again."

Sickening Shoal - This card doesn't really do anything for me, and maybe it is because of my casual/Type 1 bias. I can't really see many creatures being worth a 1-for-2 loss on, and I can't really see myself playing this over Contagion. I feel that if a defensive/reactive card is going to provide inherent card disadvantage is HAS to stop a key threat dead in its tracks (like Force of Will), and I just don't see this Shoal doing this too often.

Shining Shoal - Now this is an interesting card. I love that it is a free Reflect Damage, which is one of my favorite MP cards ever, even if it is harder to use to full effect. But this life swing at the end of the opponent's turn is a monster tempo swing. It completely ruins your opponent's combat math, while simultaneously setting you up for an alpha strike. I still can't quite figure out the right deck for it (since expensive white cards don't seem to quite line up with this card's aggressive nature), but they are there. Angels maybe? Actually, I've got a mono-white deck that this could do some damage in.

Blazing Shoal - This card scares me a bit, there are a few different kinds of Big-Red decks that I've run into that I would not like to see team up with this card. It is a finisher, likely one that ends the game 1 turn sooner than anyone anticipated. For instance, in a Dragonstorm style deck this thing will likely just end the game when it is cast. It can't just drop into any red aggression deck, but there are plenty it can simply plop into. It reminds me of another underrated aggro card, Surge of Strength.

Attachments