1 Treasure Vault
1 Ugin, the Ineffable
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Urza, Lord High Artificer
1 Urza's Saga
1 Voltaic Key
1 Wasteland
1 Wurmcoil Engine

This deck owes its existence to a similar list I built and played back in March of 2020, for what would become the penultimate gathering of the West Coast Commander League. That list was thrown together at the last minute and was partially themed around adding and removing counters from permanents. But I hit upon the stupid interaction of Barrin, Master Wizard + Spine of Ish Sah. It's not a particularly fast or potent combo on its own. And in the West Coast Commander League, it wasn't supposed to be, but even then I took the approach of running lots of good artifacts to provide sacrificial fodder for Barrin.

I've been wanting to take another shot at this deck concept. What the gimmicky old version was lacking was a strong suite of creatures that I could bounce, generating value. Barrin does a fine job of bouncing opposing creatures, but I wanted to bounce my own creatures and make an engine out of this. Mishra's Workshop made sense with the artifact theme, helping power out Spine of Ish Sah, and gave me the idea to add more lands that tap for extra mana, so that the "free" blue creatures can potentially generate enough mana to pay for themselves and for Barrin's ability.

So far, I've only taken this into one game. I took a bit of a beating in the early turns, then slowed the game down by bouncing potential attackers. Eventually, I was able to assemble Peregrine Drake + Deadeye Navigator alongside Barrin, Master Wizard + Spine of Ish Sah. After my opponents scooped up their cards, I realized that because I also had Sensei's Divining Top and Scrap Trawler, I had the means to win on the spot anyway. With infinite mana available, I could activate Sensei's Divining Top to draw a card and, in response to that activation I could use Barrin to sacrifice Spine of Ish Sah and bounce one of my own creatures (anything, really). The Scrap Trawler trigger would put Top back into my hand and Spine's own ability would return it to my hand. I'd draw a card and then I'd be free to recast all of the relevant permanents and repeat the process as needed. This would draw me into Wurmcoil Engine, which would enable me to make infinite tokens. It would also draw me into Time Warp, so I could take an extra turn and use that turn to swing in for lethal damage on all opponents.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I tried this deck again a couple days ago, and sadly I got very poor results. Although the game two weeks ago and most of my test games indicated that this deck should perform reasonably well, I had it completely fall apart on me this time around. There was a whole array of issues though, and it could have just been a run of bad luck. In the last game, I did get a somewhat better start, but I was hosed by one player while sacrificing my own lands to bounce creatures and stop a different player from comboing off. The rest of the table didn't go after that player, and eventually his combo attempt succeeded. So that's kind of on those guys.

This deck probably could use some fine-tuning, but I'm not going to adjust it quite yet on the basis of a handful of bad games.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Indeed it is. In my last three games with this deck (one this week, and two last week), I got an early Sensei's Divining Top on the board and either drew into or tutored into Mystic Forge. Very explosive, and that interaction got Mystic Forge restricted in Vintage a couple years ago.

Prior to last week, I was unhappy with the inconsistency and poor performance of this deck. While I still want to tweak it, I am seeing it show its power quite a bit more.