Blue/White Non-Azorius Deck [Soldier]

K

KingAlanI

This is my primary Soldier deck.
The blue is in there to help provide me with anti-Flying (in terms of creatures that have Flying themselves). anti-Flying is something my decks often have trouble with. Additionally, it's fun to have a Soldier deck with counterspells. :)

When I say 'non-Azorius' in the title, I don't mean I'm totally against putting Azorius cards in here, I simply don't have many of them. So if some Azorius card would work good in here, I'll put it in.

I like oversized (>60) decks, this is the biggest one of 'em all, even I admit that I may need to shrink it. :p

Total cards: 101

Lands (35)
25 Plains
10 Island

Creatures (22)
2 Daru Lancer
2 Dive Bomber
2 Elite Javilineers
2 Elite Archers
2 Frontline Strategist
2 Oathsworn Giant
1 Aven Cloudchaser
1 Castle Raptors
1 Daru Warchief
1 Intrepid Hero
1 Radiant's Dragoons
1 Seasoned Marshal

2 Ascending Aven
1 Skywing Aven
1 Aven Windreader

Sorcery (3)
1 Angelic Blessing
1 Gerrard's Wisdom
1 Cleanfall

Enchantment (10)
3 Arrest
2 Indomitable Strength
2 Dragon Scales
1 Martyr's Cause
1 Pacifism
1 Ocular Halo

Instant (28)
2 Reviving Vapors

3 Piety Charm
2 Test of Faith
2 Angelic Favor
2 Unified Strike
2 Recuperate
2 Disenchant
1 Healing Salve
1 Steeling Stance
1 To Arms
1 Wojek Siren

2 Annul
1 Desertion
1 Flash Counter
1 Counterspell
1 Spell Blast
1 Discombobulate
1 Remove Soul
1 Muddle The Mixture

Artifact (3)
1 Seashell Cameo
1 Farsight Mask
1 Blinding Powder

-------
Only additional card that comes to mind right now is Kjeldoran Outpost...

L

Limited

I understand its hard to cut cards from a deck, but I am a big supporter of 60 card decks. It really forces you to consider what the focus/goal of your deck is and evaluate your cards accordingly.

I like the idea of an Soldier Control deck. In such a deck, you would have only a few Soldiers on the table, but be holding a lot of cards, so cards like Descendant of Kiyomaro and Soldiers with Amplify would work really well.

But swapping a couple of cards wouldn't improve the deck nearly as much as picking a theme and start cutting cards that don't match that theme until you end with a 60-card deck.

Killer Joe

Oracle text: Soldier spells you play cost 1 less to play.
Soldiers you control get +1/+2.

It's a 1/2 Soldier that's an uncommon from Scourge. Its essential for every soldier deck.

K

KingAlanI

I'm not *that* much of a Magic newb...ofc I know about Daru Warchief. I got one, actually. :)
More might not be a bad idea though. It is not a Legend; having multiples of those in play could be fun. :D

And Limited, what do you mean by a "Soldier Control" deck?

Killer Joe

KingAlanI said:
I'm not *that* much of a Magic newb...ofc I know about Daru Warchief. I got one, actually. :)
More might not be a bad idea though. It is not a Legend; having multiples of those in play could be fun. :D

The text and all are for others reading the posts as well ;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Killer Joe said:
The text and all are for others reading the posts as well ;)
Like me. I find it hard to keep up with all your newfangled cards, especially since I haven't played with most of them...

Tag Guard

L

Limited

KingAlanI said:
When making a tribal decks, most automatically turn out to be 'Aggro' decks; decks that win by dealing 20 damage to your opponent before they can deal 20 damage to you. A 'Control' deck doesn't race to the finish line, but slowly turns the game in its favor.

So, a Soldier Aggro deck would use a lot of cheap Soldiers and some effects like Glorious Anthem to deal a lot of damage quickly. A Soldier Control deck would use a lot of midrange Soldiers which provide card- or board advantage in some way (letting you draw cards, gaining you life) which keeps you alife.

And if you survive enough turns, and used some mass removal to eliminate multiple threats with a single card, you end in a situation in which your opponent has no real threats on the table and no cards in hand, while you have a solid blocker or two and a hand for of counterspells.

You are now in control of the game and can play your finisher (a big soldier, or an unblockable one) to actually start dealing damage.

J

jorael

Reminds me about a white soldier 'control' deck I played for some time. It could survive several players during multiplayer and had a good winning percentage (enough to hear sighes when spotted :D).

Glory Seekers
14 Plains
8 white cycling lands
3 Daru Encampment

3 Death or Glory
4 Akroma's Vengeange

4 Stoic Champion
4 Whipcorder
4 Descendant of Kyomaro
4 Enlistment Officer
4 Radiant's Dragoons
4 Gempalm Avenger
4 Noble Templar
The deck has only Akroma's Vengeance for removal, but that card is very efficient. Early game one Stoic Champion or Descendant of Kyomaro is good defense, coupled with some cycling and card drawing. So you can keep your hand full while having a good defense.

The deck wins with wiping the board and eliminate opponents by having more creatures, due to Enlistment Officer and superior card selection (cycling). Late game Death or Glory gives you additional attacking strength. With all that cycled soldiers (and previous destroyed ones) you should have quite an army to reanimate (even though you get only half of them).

Other interesting 'controlish' soldiers that might be interesting for you deck are:
Whipcorder: tap those creatures
Inteprid Hero: removal
Reborn Hero: returns
Commander Eesha: great blocker
Benalish Heralds: card drawing

Good luck!

L

Limited

*sigh*

;)

A Soldier Wisdom... almost as weird a Rakdos Wisdom deck.