Blood Moon in 5-Color

• Thread starter Thallid Ice Cream Man
  • Start date
T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I think Blood Moon might be very good in 5-color if in a deck using little to no nonbasic lands. Am I just insane or is that a viable use of that card?

K

krichaiushii

You would need a bit of blue to protect it, and mountainwalkers to take advantage of it (or use Burrowing!).

I thought about it for that 5color LD I posted, but decided I would much rather blow land up than just change it.

Aside from Goblins of the Flarg (what exactly is a Flarg?) and Mountain Yeti, what else has mountainwalk? Then again, since heavy blue would be needed to protect the Blood Moon, maybe Magical Hacks could be included, as well...

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

"Flarg" is clearly "Gralf" backward, an allusion to Ricrahd Gralfied, the creator of Magic: The Gatrihneg. :)

D

Dune Echo

http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/expandsub.php?Article=1852

Andrew Wright on the 5-Color Mailing list said this:
"Blood Moon was a hugely popular card a long time ago - seeing play as the primary answer to dual lands before it rotated out of the tournament scene. Blood Moon was reprinted in Chronicles, I believe, so it should be pretty cheap from the dealers (Check the $1-$3 binders) and I'm wondering if players who lack the Dual-Lands necessary to build a red-based deck with a ton-o-burn using Blood Moon as the primary "land wrecking" card."