Blazing Salvo, really a new Lightning Bolt?

A

arhar

Blazing Salvo is amazing in limited, sucks in constructed, end of story.

M

Mikeymike

Quill, you're right Shower of Coals is amazing in Multiplayer (and limited too). In MP you will always have 3 targets and you will most likely have threshold too. One of the best MP burn spells ever.

I agree with Duel about Barbarian Ring in extended. Yes you are giving up a land for a 1R shock but, it IS colorless which makes a huge difference. It also has a Seal of Fire effect where the opponent always realizes all you burn spells now do X+2 damage. Plus it does produce red mana WITHOUT coming into play tapped making 4 in a deck a non-issue. Finally, its uncounterable, Force this baby.

Disadvantages:
Its a painland - Sligh really doesn't care about this, might hurt you 1 in 25 games.
Threshold - 4 cards in your opening hand are in the graveyard by turn 3, most games don't end on turn 4. If it does that means you've won, if it doesn't that's when the Ring is going to help.
Has to sac for its effect - How much mana does sligh really need?

T

terzarima

Jeez, I had to read throught the card about 10 times before I actually understood it.... so very stupid :)

Good card by the way

C

Chaos Turtle

Blazing Salvo

The first time this was played on me at prerelease I let my critter die. That was foolish of me. The second time, and every time thereafter, I took the five and I was never sorry.

It basically has "Pay 5 life: Counter me" written on it. COP:Red renders it idiotic.

Shower of Coals

Positively wrecked me not once but twice in the same match. Once you know your opponent has one (and you don't) you basically live in fear and hope to beat him down before he gets it. Either that, or give up any hope of creature-based board superiority (and in sealed is there any other kind?).

"Oh you have 3 creatures, each with toughness 4 or less? They die. Attack. You die."

T

Turtlewax Joe

Speeking purely T II....

Blazing Salvo- Semi-useless, although there is a hype builbing up around here....I'll take a Counter any day. Shock and the like are far Superior. It has it's Uses though....I can see it getting Played.

Shower of Coals- So many insults Come to mind....SLOW is the first, Followed by....I'D RATHER PLAY PYROCLASM. Absolutely Horrible. It has it's Uses in ,other Formats though.

Barbarian Ring- I love this. If I'm any where NEAR to playing Red, This is the card i'll play. The card depends on what ypu want to play on any given day. I don't like the fact thet it pains you for only 1 color and the damage effect causes it to tap. IT'S UNCOMMON COLORLESS DAMEGE!

But sticking to the topic...Blazing salvo Is NOWHERE NEAR as powerfull os Lightning Bolt. It will see play in T II once in a while.

T.J.