Black Ice

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Spiderman, Jan 22, 2015.

  1. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

    Felt I needed to share... hit some black ice on Sunday while driving around a corner in my neighborhood and went up a curb, messed up a rim and alignment and my mechanic says the whatever holds the engine in place got messed up. He thinks if I report it to insurance, they'll declare the car totalled. So right now my wife is driving me to work after we drop off our kindergartner, which means my hours have changed from early to "late". Still not sure what I'm going to do about the car though. My mechanic is pricing used parts to see how much it would be but can't really afford to fix it anyway, from what it sounds like. Ugh....
  2. Oversoul The Tentacled One

    Yikes. I had a family member who had a similar accident several years ago (but there was no curb and she hit a telephone pole). Motor mount was broken and yeah, the car was declared totaled. Hope you have better luck...
  3. rokapoke Man Among Gods

    Sorry to hear about your car, but at least you're okay. That's what really matters, right?

    Also, I have heard that when it's your insurance paying out for a totaled car you won't be happy with the money you get, but when it's somebody else's insurance (like from an at-fault accident) they'll really pay good money so that you won't bother them about it. So I hope anything you get from insurance is enough to replace your car sufficiently.
  4. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

    True dat. Thanks.

    I'm pretty sure I won't get enough to replace the car if I go that route. It's five/six years old. What also sucks is that I just finished off paying the loan that paid for it to begin with :rolleyes:
  5. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

    If the vehicle is over 5 years old, they will just total it than deal with costly repairs.
    Find your cars blue book value to get an idea of what the insurance should pay.
    Insurance companies are like bookies, they are right there wanting paid, but hard to deal with when they owe you money.
  6. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

    Well, I looked it up and if they consider it "fair", I might get something. If it's "poor", who knows...

    Speaking of insurance, anyone know at what point or how old a vehicle should be before you drop... some type of coverage? I seem to remember when the car is x years old (say, 10), it's not worth it to have comprehensive? Collision? Something... I can't remember what...
  7. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

    When the cost of the collision/comprehension is more than the car is worth for that year.
    Say if the car is 7 yrs old and worth 2000, if you pay and extra$ 100 per quarter, then is the 400 a good value for the possible 2000 in coverage?
  8. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

    So... even though my mechanic has not gotten back to me yet with an estimate for repairs, it probably looks like I should declare it to my insurance and just have it "totaled" and get the payout and get another car. Since this will be declared as an accident on my insurance, my rates will go up so thinking about shopping around for other insurance companies. I'm currently with State Farm, anyone have any experiences/opinions about others?
  9. rokapoke Man Among Gods

    Don't they have "accident forgiveness"? That seems to be a part of every car insurance commercial I see these days...
  10. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

    I have State Farm and they don't really give accident forgiveness.
  11. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

    They should. I have one accident from back in March 2014 when I backed up into a car. That's why reporting this one will trigger the rate increase. It lasts for three years (so my agent told me).

Share This Page