Black/Green that's Type 2 legal now (no Apocalypse)

Discussion in 'Casual Decks/Variants/Etc' started by luke twigger, May 23, 2001.

1. luke twigger New Member

Everyone is excitedly talking about new Black/Green decks which become viable with the release of Apocalypse, particularly the Spiritmonger and Pernicious Deed cards, but that doesn't help me this weekend. So I've put together a deck using that colour combo, though the Green is only needed late game for the Bursts and Restocks. Anybody got any suggestions other than "wait for Apocalypse" :)

4 Vendetta
    4 Duress
    4 Addle
    2 Diabolic Intent
    4 Nether Spirit
    4 Chimeric Idol
    2 Massacre
    4 Death Pit Offering
    4 Saproling Burst
    2 Restock
    2 Tsabo's Decree
    1 Dust Bowl
    3 Rishadan Port
    5 Forest
    15 Swamp
  2. Lotus Mox New Member

Natural Affinity could fit your deck, it works very well with Death Pit Offering and Massacre and it increases your threat count, which is a good thing because DPO doesn't do anything by itself.

IMO your mana base is a bit weak with only 5 Forests, although you don't really need them to win a game.
  3. luke twigger New Member

You mean like the "Roshambo" deck of MBC days. I played a version of that last summer but found it worked best with Skyshroud Claim and non-land mana sources because otherwise, by the time you've paid the casting cost of Natural Affinity you don't often have too many untapped lands to attack with. It is a thought though, but what do I take out?
  4. Ransac CPA Trash Man

What? No Silt Crawlers?

Ransac, cpa trash man
  5. Mikeymike Captain Hiatus

I agree with Lotus Mox about the mana consolidation, 5 forests is low, especially since one of your big green spells is 3GG. You might want to look at mana acceleration to in the form of Dark Rituals: you've got over 20 spells in the deck where its 3 black mana can work with w/o mana burning. Right now you have 24 lands (only 20 of which are color producing), 14 spells at 4CC and up, 10 spells w/ double Black in the CC.

Also, I would consider more saproling generation in the way of Spontaneous Generation. It works very well with the DPO's and the Diabolic Intents your packing.
    ---
    And when Apocalypse comes out Life or Death is going to kick booty in here, sorry I couldn't resist. Seriously, this is a cool deck, I especially like the Nether Spirits in here as the only creature cards.
  6. Goku Sylvan Warrior

Are the tsabo's decree's really necessary?

I tried running those in a deck of mine, and they never really saw good use.
    I mean, against squirrel and saproling decks, they could be useful, but I think that they would be better in a sideboard.

Also, since the deck is mostly black, you won't have access to quick mana-acceleration in order to cast it fast enough.