Bind - Your opinion?

M

Mikeymike

Bind
1G Instant (Invasion Rare)
Counter target activated ability. (Mana abilities can't be countered.) ; Draw a card.

Bind is one of those cards that I grunt about every time I pull one from a pack of Invasion. Yet I've been eyeing this card for awhile now b/c there have been a few times while playing in my group that I said "I wish this card were a Bind". Keep in mind it does not stop Come into Play abilities or triggered abilities (ala Sunken Hope or Grave Pact).

Its not only a green counter, but a good tempo card. Stopping an ability for 1 turn can definitely turn a game in your favor.

So I've decided to list a bunch of great cards in all different formats that this stops either dead or temporarily

IBC
Pernicious Deed
Regenerators like Spiritmonger and Spectral Lynx
Questing Phelddagrif
Dragon Legend Abilites

Type 2
Port/Dustbowl
Mageta
Elvish Piper

Casual/Type 1
Nev. Disk
Bloodfire Collosus
Ertai, Wizard Adept
Crypt Rats
Mother of Runes
Maze of Shith
Sneak Attack/Quicksilver Amulet/Belbe's Portal
Spike Weaver with only 1 mana to activate.
Tradewind Rider
Volrath's Stronghold
Academy Rector (I think but I'd need a ruling)
Cursed Scroll
Strip Mine
Snake Basket
Legacy's Allure
Sword of the Ages (haha!)
Hundreds of others

The best use seems to be using it on permanents that sac for a particular effect.

Feel free to add your thoughts about the card for any format, or go ahead and add to my list.

Enjoy!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Not knowing how many good activated abilities are out there in Standard right now, I would have say on first look it's a "tempt" card in general and sideboard card at best. It does delay something for a turn and it's a cantrip so it replaces itself, which isn't bad. But I'm not sure how many effects need to be stopped right then that aren't going to be a pain later on (in other words, it's my inclination to look for a more permanent solution to the problem). It's kinda like that counter that puts the countered spell back on top of the library.

But hey, I'm sure that since it replaces itself and there's always some ability somewhere that can be countered that it could be better than I think right now :p

T

theorgg

Bind is a card that I WISH I could get some of.

It's a great card against MOST things out there that tap or sac themselfs. Sac abilities it can be devistating, as Pernicious Deed gets blown up even if it blows up nothing else. Stopping Spirit Monger's regen for a turn could kill it, as well as Nightscape Familiar since it's getting popular nowadays. A well timed bind could give you the advantage that you need to win the game.

Against Rebels, it sucks their mana and that tap from them, and gets you a card as well. A string of binds could possibly even allow your recovery against Rebels.

G

Gizmo

Bind doesn`t stop the Spiritmonger from regenerating. It just means they have to spend another B and activate a second regeneration field.

Basically, Interdict was a very very good card when it was an Interrupt. As an instant it largely sucked. I think Bind is really only useful in the case of using it to counter an effect that requires sacrifice - as in the case of Pernicious Deed, or Powder Keg.

R

RabidKimba

I just have them in my IBC sideboard Vs Deed.

Hey theorgg - I think I got all of your Binds from that rare draft we had at the prerelease. :D

J

Jake74

Originally posted by Mikeymike
Keep in mind it does not stop Come into Play abilities or triggered abilities
That means it doesn't stop:

Dragon Legend Abilites
Academy Rector

and some others... these are triggered. Activated abilities all have cost:effect. Without the colon it isn't activated...

M

Mikeymike

Are you sure about the Dragon Legends? How can something with an activation cost not be an activated ability? I see your point, it just seems weird. Got to ask CT or EricBess.

T

theorgg

It was the kid who "just wants to play" and dug through his binder for the bad rares he had...

I think I passed one... I remember that he got the Legends rare I had put in there for whomever got the urge...

I wonder if he actually was intending on playing?

J

Jake74

Originally posted by Mikeymike
Are you sure about the Dragon Legends? How can something with an activation cost not be an activated ability? I see your point, it just seems weird. Got to ask CT or EricBess.
Dragon Legends are both triggered and activated...
The reason I thought it wasn't is because it didn't have cost:effect, but:

A.2.2 - Activated abilities may be written as "<Player> may <pay cost> to <do effect>." when they are delayed abilities (see Rule A.5) or sub-abilities (see Rule A.1.11). This wording means the same thing as "<cost>: <effect>" except it's easier to use in the middle of another ability's text. [CompRules 1999/04/23]

A.4.9 - Even though a triggered ability may use the text "<player> may pay <cost>, to do <effect>", the trigger itself is not an activated ability. The sub-ability (see Rule A.1.11) is, however. [D'Angelo 1999/07/31]

The cost/activated ability is a sub-ability in the bigger triggered ability...

M

Mikeymike

This game gives me heartburn sometimes, thanks for clarifying Jake.