Beyond the Future...

Discussion in 'Home Made Cards' started by DÛke, Dec 17, 2001.

1. DÛke Memento Mori

Wow, I quit Magic, yet I still find making Magic cards to be fun and even amuzing at times. I still try to go beyond what everyone does...I'm not sure if I'm doing a good job, but I know I'm doing something different than simple creatures with abilities that match those of WotC.

Every time I say I wont submit to the power of WotC, I do. This time, I will try and submit *only* cards that I feel are truely unique to the Magic world...

Some ideas:
    Inspired by my favorite music act, Enigma. I figured having an undercosted creature deal damage to "another life total" that the opponent has to be a fresh idea. This thing treats the opponent as if he or she has 20 life, no matter what the opponent really has.
    Ok, it was inspired by a novel I had read, "Heart of Darkness." Also inspired by Nesting Wurm and Howling Wolf, which are hip yet unplayble. I made a new twist on their abilities, all of which eventually became this thing. It's seems very effective and annoying.
    Inspired by my deep and passionate hate for White's Worship and Pariah. You know, it's about time a card like this is made. It's within the color's boundaries, yet can give a player a chance against the annoying White enchantments. It's effective against any color, and is a good kill method too. The casting cost may need to be raisen to 3BB...
  2. MrXarvox The Prettiest Man Alive

The concept of "Another life total" was done before with poison counters, although delivering counters equal to power instead is novel.
  3. DÛke Memento Mori

...poison counters were put on the player, regardless of how many life he or she had, and the creature who dealt the counters still deals the damage, that's why poison counters are a thing of the casual players (I believe), because the player is more likely to die with the damage rather than with the actual poisoning.

Ethereal Spirit is completely a new and a unique idea, so far. :)
  4. FoundationOfRancor The Gunslinger

It's a difference of ice and frozen water.

I really like Heart of Darkness, it's such a crazy twist on muscle sliver! It's great!
  5. DÛke Memento Mori

...I was going to explain some more, but it seems that I would need Gizmo or Chaos Turtle to point out the difference.

Anyway, more cards.
    Once again, I was inspired by Enigma's music. Ethereal Elemental is very easy to kill, but is fun to play. Ever wanted to Disenchant a Birds of Paradise? Ever wanted to Stone Rain or Terrorize a Worship? Well, here's your best friend.
    No inspiration. Just a good idea.
  6. FoundationOfRancor The Gunslinger

I understand why you think etheral spirit is so diifferent. Besides a couple of small tricks, it's basically a normal creature. Provided it's the only creature damageing your oppenent, it's just an anti-lifegain card.
    I wouldnt exactly call it a "completely new" or a "unique" idea, but it's pretty interesting.

Ethereal Elemental is just plain awesome, this and Ancestral Feud (by LandKiller) tie for the best magic card I have ever seen.

[Btw, why is Etheral Spirit a 4/3? It really shouldnt be, with the original cc. - FoR]
  7. DÛke Memento Mori

...About Ethereal Spirit, if you mean that it's too big for the cost, then, I kind of disagree. When you bring a fat creature into play, you expect it to start dealing damage to your opponent. So if your opponent has 10 lives, you'd start knockin' him down from there. However, Ethereal Spirit doesn't care, if he has 10 lives. It treats your opponent as though he has 20 lives, so it's harder for it to kill your opponent, because no matter how low their life is, suppose he has 1 life, Ethereal Spirit couldn't kill him because it pretends that he has 20. Ethereal Spirit is only very effective in the beginning of the game, when the opponent still has a great life total. After that, Ethereal Spirit is useless, except for blocking. Poison creatures are not like that...

Thanks for your compliment about Ethereal Elemental.
  8. FoundationOfRancor The Gunslinger

Hmmm...interesting point, but doesent the Spirit still deal damage regardless of the number of counters vs. Life totals?

For example, if you attack me, and I am at 4 life (Lets say the spirit has 20 counters)....can it kill me?
  9. Bob Idiot

Of course in multiplayer, all you have to do with Ethereal Spirit is kill one player with it, then you win the whole game.
  10. DÛke Memento Mori

...FoR, the Ethereal Spirit CAN'T kill you if you're at 4 life while it has 20 counters on it. It doesn't CARE about your life total whatsoever, it can NEVER EVER deal damage to you directly. Poison creatures can. The Spirit's power is a mere number that only deals damage to creatures, and only DECIDES how many counters it removes from itself when damaging you.

You're at 4, it attacks you for 4, instead of dealing 4 damage to you, it removes 4 counters from itself. Which leaves it at 16. Basically, it's like, when it comes into play, it treats you with 20 life, no matter what your life total really is: whether you're at a mere 1, or some pouding 50: it will attack you as if you had 20. Period. Hence the "Ethereal" in its name: its living in a totally "different" world. :)

Plus, what Bob says is also valid. The Spirit can really be vicious in multiplayer games.

Can you see the huge gab of difference now?
  11. DÛke Memento Mori

More cards:
    Inspired a bit by phasing. I think it's a wonderful card in control decks, but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure about the casting cost.
    Inspired by a multiple of things like Echo and Fading. This is somewhat like Echo, in that you don't pay the full mana cost right when you play it. It's like Fading because it eventually dies out...though here, you have an option of paying for keeping it. Most importantly, it was inspired by the Magic duals I've played, where I play a creature only for it to be countered (therefore I've wasted my mana), or it is destroyed before I even get to attack (therefore, I've wasted my mana!), With Ethereal Elves mana, there is *no* waste of mana at all: it comes with counter-proof-mana-safety battery, and it will attack at least once before you actually get to spend mana to keep it, and if it's killed before it doesn anything, you at least haven't wasted a lot of mana. Very flexible. I would imagine that a card like this would see a lot of play almost in any environment.
  12. FoundationOfRancor The Gunslinger

Ah, when I looked over the Spirit I missed that crucial word "Instead" on the end. It makes sense now, I apologize for not seeing it on my first read-through.

Bells- I have no problem with it, but the life gain thing doesent seem to fit the card.

Elf- It's a pretty good restriction.
  13. DÛke Memento Mori

About the Bells, I understand what you mean; I couldn't find a better way to make it "fit" more though...ideas?

More cards:
    Inspired by some earlier cards of mine. The concept is that each player gets to treat Shape of the Beholder differently. Red players "behold" it as a 1/5 White defensive creature, while Green players behold it as a 3/3 offensive creature. To make the card playable against anyone, I gave it the ability to shift into Air Elemental mode, which adds the extra kick to make the cards fully playable.
    Two new twists one split cards. I think mostly everyone would agree with me that these are pure fresh ideas that WotC itself could have done, but didn't due to the lack of creativity, I guess. I figured multi-colored split cards would be very interesting, especially if they were actually *good* cards. Additionally, both cards can be played as one, as you may have noticed, by paying the specified mana cost...which is yet another great punch. Very flexible, very playable, very new. *This* is how you make split cards.
    Can't you just imagine the insanity of playing both parts at once? You can do so many things. You can gain control of creatures, give them +1/+1, but prevent them from attacking, therefore gaining great blockers. You could steal 2 creatures, and disable 2 others from attacking...etc...a lot of flexible options you got here. A very strategic card for control freaks...like me. Note the effects of the card above do not end at the end of the turn unless noted.
  14. linsivvi New Member

Alright so we throw Duke in a room with a bunch of C.D's and lets see how many new cards he comes up with.
  15. Darsh Corrupt CPA Member

Which is why there always is a friendly slightly pshychotic red mage around, who always puts 4 bolts into his deck, good ole red mages, they just love blowing **** up.

Duke - Damn I love Etheral Elemental, I wish they had that back when I still played, my B/U decks never could deal with annoying enhantments...especially those white ones....those are just a little too cruel....
  16. DÛke Memento Mori

...thanks Darsh.

Two more cards:
    307% Inspired by Enigma's song "Smell of Desire." I feel that life gain doesn't really see much play unless in combo decks. Though, some life gain wouldn't be that bad against rush decks. Smell of Desire, hopefully, is on the more playable side than not. If you think about it, it's not bad at all, especially if you have a Smell of Desire card in your graveyard. Hey, if not anything, this is a casual player's one of many friends. It's on the original side too...
    How about it? A tricky SoB. You wanna shock it? Go ahead! You wanna Terrorize it? Be my guest. The thing is, this bad boy must be dealt with...and not by chumb blocking it, or just blocking it with a bigger creature -- no. You, in most cases, will have to make a great sacrifice. Very cool...in my opinion.
  17. DÛke Memento Mori

There you go. As original as can be, I believe. :)

If I could get a job at WotC creating cards, I swear, Magic will never be the same...at all...