Beyond Balderdash: Round 1 Final Answer & Scores

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay guys, please don't use the Internet to search for the correct answer; the spirit of the game is in the answers. Please submit a pre-lim answer so you can be eligible to choose an answer from the final list.

The category is WORDS - PM me what you think the definition is.

KARAWATONIGA

PM your guess by Thursday, 2/2 by 7:00 AM EST.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The following people can answer from the list below:

BigBlue, DarthFerret, EricBess, Jigglypuff, Limited, Melkor, Oversoul, Ransac, TomB, and train

Here's the answer list:

1. The scientific name of the substance secreted by snails to create their shells
  2. Harmless supernatural beings who live among bushes near the sea
  3. A professional practitioner of the art of calligraphy
  4. An early precursor to a fancy water-spitting sculpture
  5. A small fishing boat, built without pitch, once used in Indonesia
  6. Name for the generation of Japanese people who live in solitude and only socialize online
  7. The surname of a Yakuza who was thrown out for dishonoring themselves by brutally murdering another overtly
  8. A type of cheese made from sheep's milk and produced in the Samoan Islands
  9. A Native American Rainmaker's ceremonial garb
  10. A traditional dance performed during ceremonies of coastal Indians that "thanks" the oceans for their bounty
  11. An alcoholic beverage popular in several North African countries

You can post your guess here or PM me, it doesn't matter. Do it by Monday, 2/6 by 7:00 AM EST.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I'm guessing: 5. # A small fishing boat, built without pitch, once used in Indonesia

Melkor

I like number 11, and as an aside, I love our current achoholic beverages, but if I'm right, then I have something new to try out.

Just to be clear, my answer is 11: An alcoholic beverage popular in several North African countries

L

Limited

number two. It's probably rubbish, but I want to give points to whoever thought of that..

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the answer list with the people who submitted which answer after it:

1. The scientific name of the substance secreted by snails to create their shells (DarthFerret)
  2. Harmless supernatural beings who live among bushes near the sea (CORRECT ANSWER)
  3. A professional practitioner of the art of calligraphy (Melkor)
  4. An early precursor to a fancy water-spitting sculpture (Jigglypuff)
  5. A small fishing boat, built without pitch, once used in Indonesia (Oversoul)
  6. Name for the generation of Japanese people who live in solitude and only socialize online (Limited)
  7. The surname of a Yakuza who was thrown out for dishonoring themselves by brutally murdering another overtly (BigBlue)
  8. A type of cheese made from sheep's milk and produced in the Samoan Islands (TomB)
  9. A Native American Rainmaker's ceremonial garb (Ransac)
  10. A traditional dance performed during ceremonies of coastal Indians that "thanks" the oceans for their bounty (train)
  11. An alcoholic beverage popular in several North African countries (EricBess

So aside from the voted above, privately Ransac and DarthFerret voted for TomB's answer, and BigBlue guessed the correct answer.

So the tally is:

TomB has 2 people guess his answer.
Ransac had 2 people guess his answer.
Oversoul and EricBess each had 1 person guess their answer.
The correct answer had 2 people guess it.
And Jigglypuff voted for his own answer.

I didn't think it had to be said, but though you're allowed to vote for your own answer, you get zero points for it. Sorry if that was unclear.

Scores:

Ransac 2
TomB 2
BigBlue 1
EricBess 1
Limited 1
Oversoul 1

L

Limited

Huh? I get no points for guessing the correct answer from the list?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Apologies to Limited - yes, you should have a point. That's corrected above.

Everyone else has 0 points. As the game isn't "set" - people can answer whenever they like, just keeping track of the people who have points is easier.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
We should also get a point each for submitting the answers in phase 1, shouldn't we? :confused:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I was debating that and I think that sort of skews the results... like EricBess wasn't able to guess in the final phase due to his schedule. So I'm just going to have anyone be able to submit in the first phase, but then only those people who submitted can answer in the second phase.