Beyond Balderdash 2: Question 3 Results

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What does the word THENAR mean?

1. the process that is used to bond the noble gases with other compounds (Apollo's guess)

2. fleshy mass on the palm of the hand at the base of the thumb (Jaws's guess)

3. the palm of the hand or sole of the foot (the answer I was looking for)

4. a specialized cervical plexus in the human nervous system (Darsh's guess)

5. one of the Viking tribes that invaded Europe 1000 years ago (Sleepy's guess)

6. of, relating to, involving, or constituting the ball of the thumb or the intrinsic musculatre of the thumb (nodnarb's guess)

Darsh, Sleepy, and CT chose nodnarb's guess.

Baskil, dw and Apollo chose Jaws' guess.

Since two of the answers are technically correct (#2 and #6) since they came from the dictionary, this was a rather confusing Answer List since that meant there were 3 correct answers to choose from. Therefore I won't be giving additional points for people choosing other people's guesses. But you all chose the correct answer anyway so most everyone gets two points (except for our new players, CT and Baskil who get one since they joined in the middle and didn't provide a guess and dw because he didn't provide an initial guess either).

For the future, since most of these categories can be looked up using references, I'm going to need pretty exact matches to the answers I have in order to get credit. So above, since #2 and #6 aren't EXACTLY like #3, I'd include them as above but they wouldn't be considered the correct answer. So if you see your guess up there in the Answer List in the future you can assume I didn't think it was close enough to the answer to guess something else, not your guess again for the final answer.

Results so far:

nodnarb 11
Darsh 10
Sleepy 8
Apollo 5
Baskil 1
Chaos Turtle 1
dw 1
Jaws 1
Gryphonclaw 0
Namielus 0

J

Jaws10387

One question. Shouldn't I have 2 pts? I gave an initial guess and it was right.

S

Sleepy

isn't #6 the definition in the dictionary? that's where I got it. and are we supposed to be getting these right with our guesses, or are we trying to trick people into guessing our answers?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Jaws: Well, as I said above, when I first got the guesses I didn't consider #2 or #6 to be correct because they didn't match exactly to what I had (they got more specific and didn't include the sole of the foot). So I just gave you a point for giving an initial guess.

Sleepy: I'm trying to adapt this from the party game so I'm still working on refining it. Of course in the party game you don't have access to references or anything like that, you just come up with a guess which will usually not be right.

So to answer your question, I guess although technically you can come up with the correct answer right off the bat, the spirit of the game is to just guess something off the top of your head and try to make others guess it (which is how you get your "extra" points and separate yourself from the pack).

So I guess since everyone has access to references, if the majority of guesses are absolutely correct (i.e. now EXACTLY match what I have), then I'll throw out the question, give the appropriate points, and start a new one.

If there ISN'T a majority of correct answers (but some, like above), then the people who gave the correct answers get the appropriate points but aren't eligible to guess from the Answer List (I'll tell you when that happens in PMs).

Anyway, as I said, I can't stop anyone from using references but just in the spirit of the game and to see the wacky guesses people can come up with I encourage everyone to just guess without looking at anything when they read the new question :)