Betrayers...Chisei, Heart of Oceans

M

Mikeymike

This is number one of my Betrayers favorites. I'll likely have a bunch more over the next few days since this is the first time I've had a good look at the spoiler.

Chisei, Heart of Oceans

Ahh, this is my favorite kind of creature. Undercosted for its Abilities & P/T, but with drawback that screams "turn me into a positive!". The reason for this is pretty simple, not only are you getting an undercosted creature, it is also supplying an effect which is helping you - makes for a very powerful card.

95% of Magic's permanent counts are positive, so removing them would usually be considered a bad thing (hence the drawback).

But there are few playable cards that actually supply you with negative counters, i.e. counters that hurt you. Topping my list is:

Wall of Roots - Always been a good card, the Wall gives you the opportunity to drop a 4/4 flyer on turn 3 (or turn 2 if your deck building skills are that ill).

Another type of card that generates negative counters is anything with Cumulative upkeep.

Staying in color, Mystic Remora is a solid one. Ancestral Knowledge too. You can also try playing Illusions of Grandeur the way it was supposed to be abused.

Hey, Illusionary Forces would give you two 4/4 four mana flyers with no drawback.

Though my favorite Cumulative upkeep card of all time is easily Tornado, a card I play in my Power Conduit deck. Vindicate every turn is strong.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, great ideas. What about Unstable Mutation too? I was initially thinking of black cards that gave -1/-1 counters but then thought of an "in-color" card...

M

Mikeymike

Actually Unstable Mutation would be perfect on this guy, nice call Spidey.

One of the weaknesses of Chisei is that you run the risk giving your opponent the dreaded "2 for 1" (i.e. they kill your counter outlet and Chisei might die). But that is already an inherent weakness in Unstable Mutation being that it is a creature enchantment.

If enchanted, Chisei would essentially be a perpetual 7/7 flyer for 4 mana. Yikes.

Ferret

Staff member
Unstable Mutation? Ewww. That would be nasty. I'm glad that card's gone...

...however, I thought of another set of cards that it would work great with: Thalids! They generate counters every turn. If you have Fungal Bloom (I think that's the card - it's an enchantment that lets you pay green mana to put spores on your fungi cards) it would go well as well...

-Ferret

"Of course, it'll be a cold day in hell before I splash Blue into my Thalid deck!"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Unstable Mutation's not gone if you play Vintage or Casual style format...

I'm not sure Chisei will work with the Thallids that well. Since it removes counters, the idea was to find cards that give negative counter effects, not positive...

L

Limited

A bit tricky perhaps, but what about the Harbinger of Night? Slowly kill all the creatures on the board, with the exception of your blue flyer.. or in a pinch, except your harbinger?

M

Mikeymike

I like that, turn Chisei into a control element. You could do the same thing with AEther Vial or Chalice of the Void too.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, this guy definitely has potential in casual play. Ancestral Knowledge might be really cool here...

L

Limited

Or Serrated Biskelion? Less control than with the Harbinger, but still fun.. :p

T

TheCasualOblivion

Some of the storage lands would work too, going the affinity route kinda. Lands do tend to be more durable than other permanents after all.

Ferret

Staff member
Wait! Here's another one I forgot all about: Tacklemaggot! I think it was last printed in Fourth or Chronicles. That was a nasy card and you could have fun w/ it...

-Ferret

"Are you sure, you want to kill it? Your Tim is looking kinda's weak right now..."