Best way to AI a deck?

Metalgeekzy

I wasent to clear on where i could post this question, i hope this is OK here.

With crona crap and most card shops not running events like FNM, or in my case a lot of shops in my area closing/moving, im kinda stuck with playing paper magic by myself.
Yes, its sad. But i still have the need to scratch my MTG itch.
I am not a fan of most digital version of MTG and i want to be able to plat with MY collection, not start a new collection like on arena.
And yes, i know about forge and the like.
But i would like to be able to play real paper magic.

I know that there are things like MTG solitaire. That dosent interest me all that much.
What i am looking for is a way to truly AI a deck. Take the decision making of that deck out of my hands. Without, you know, another person.

Is there a guide out there. A set of instructions. That would allow me to truly AI a deck for me to play against?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're looking for? Because this doesn't seem possible with any technology I've ever seen...

Metalgeekzy

I dont think i am looking for a piece of technology to do this. Maybe a set of instructions or rules somebody had written up to AI the deck. I know that with the many many many many deck combinations this might be a near impossibility. But i was wondering if there was anything close.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I've playtested decks before by setting them side by side and playing each hand myself, though goldfishing like that is as much valuable to test whether there's enough lands or not as it is to see how they play, but I don't think I ever made up any rules for it... ;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've playtested decks before by setting them side by side and playing each hand myself, though goldfishing like that is as much valuable to test whether there's enough lands or not as it is to see how they play, but I don't think I ever made up any rules for it... ;)
Oh, I've certainly done stuff like that. But I don't think there's really a way to outsource the decision-making for the "opponent" to something other than a person.

Notably, you can play against the "Challenge Decks" from Theros Block (not to be confused with Challenger Decks), and they play themselves according to some simple rules, but that's because they aren't Magic decks and can be built to follow those simple rules. It's too bad, because the three decks they did this way are kind of primitive, but you can see that the concept itself could have been improved upon.

turgy22

Nothing Special
I'm sure it can be done and I'm sure it can't be easy.
I recall playing against 2 AIs in my life: Sparky from Arena and AI opponents in Shandalar. Both probably had full-time developers working on their decision making and both also operated with a limited pool of cards.
If you were trying to pull something like this off, I think you'd need to focus on 1 deck that doesn't require a lot of interaction or decision-making. And some cards might be just too complicated to work with.
If you have any software experience, you could probably come up with something using Python or VBA. Might be more work than it's worth, though.