Best New Black Creature?

Q

Quill

Hello everyone, I'm looking to get everyones opinion on what they think is the best new black creature. By new I mean from Mercadian Masques, or Nemisis. I'm nominating Thrashing Wumpus, Ascendant Evincar, and Volrath the Fallen, but feel free to speak out for any creature. Between the three I nominated I think I have to say Thrashing Wumpus is the best. Most of all because its not a legend, and is so versatile! Ascendant Evincar comes in a close second because he's a legend but black moon+ mini massecre is sooo cool. Volrath is big and can get humongous but can still be chump blocked and thats bad :( I think they should have given him flying or "cannot be blocked except by artifact creatures or black creatures". Well what do you guys think?

A

Apollo

I vote Thrahing Wumpus (by the way, shouldn't this be in the voting section?). Ascendant Evincar is cool, but I have played weenie swarm, Duel, and 6 mana doesn't fit into any weenie swarm I've ever seen :). By the time you get it out, the other deck will have set up and will be able to handle it. The wumpus's ability can be put on to the stack, so you can Pestilence for as much as you want. Plus, if you are ever Pestilencing for 6 you are either about to win or you really have no hope, so it doesn't matter if it kills itself. And besides, the Pestilence kills itself if you do it for too much, too (dies when there are no creatures). Volrath just costs too much, and no evasion means it runs into 1/1 elves/goblins/whatever all day.

Apollo

T

The Magic Jackal

The evincar is definite the best. It's not too slow for a black swarm- have your ever heard of Dark ritual? It's not going to be banned in standard. It pumps up your creatures, and kill a river boa, something the wumpus can't do.

G

Gizmo

Wumpus.
Ascendent Evincar would be competitive if it cost BB3, but I hesitate to play ANYTHING that costs 6 mana. Besides the Wumpus is both better defense and better offense so it wins hands down, the Evincar`s only true advantage is Flying.

Q

Quill

Hey Jackal, the Wumpus can kill river boa. You can Wumpus for one, then when it regens just wumpus again for one :)

T

The Magic Jackal

...then they can regenerate again. This goes back to the masticore/overseer arguement. Sure, you can timm the boa as much as you want, but what's stopping them from regenerating? you may as well just play the evincar and kill him.

Z

Zadok001

But why kill the Boa? Block it. The Wumpus is bigger anyways.

G

GreenGiant

thrashing wumpas sucks but thats just me cause you take (sack) 2 or something like that if you use its ability i say Assasin is the best one (i dunno something in nemisis is alot better i bet) but right now i think it is cause it pisses every one off i got like 4 of them in my mercinary deck and they just kick ass in it

D

Duel

the problem with assassins is that they A) cost mana to use and B) can't target black creatures. My brother and his 4 royal assassins spent all day laughing after he saw the card. Plus removal is popular now, so even a royal assassin may not be safe.

D

Duel

Acendant Evincar. If you've ever played either Anti-weenie or black swarm, I decree that you must agree with me. Yes, wumpus is pestilence, but with a two-damage limit, or else it dies. Crypt rats was better, because the damage was dealt in a block form, so an urza's armor can't stop it. Volrath is big black, and it's good big black, granted, but not great.
BTW, ever give any thought to the little people who help make these cards great? Both Plague and Bog Witch deserve to be up there.

A

Apollo

Yeah, you take two for the Wumpus, but they do too. As for casting the Evincar with Ritual, it's still turn 4. Plus, if you're playing a weenie deck you usually want to use the Rituals to get out to a fast start. If you save them, you stunt you're potential fast start. And as somebody else said, who needs to kill the Boa, when you can just block it? And yes, the Evincar kills the Boa, but the Wumpus is better against everything else in a typical green weenie deck. I think Gizmo summed it up pretty well when he said the Evincar's only major advantage was its flying.

Apollo