Best Edition

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Of course, from A/B/U through 4th is when WOTC was learning which cards were broken/overpowered from the original assumption of the game.

Of course, then it just became reprints at that point, so no real reason to buy it any longer...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I pretty much only buy singles and have done that for some time now. But even back then, I mean, if you wanted powerful cards, core editions after Unlimited were not the way to go...

At least they don't completely suck though. Most all of them have some bombs...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Revised was still worth it. You still got dual lands, Sol Ring, Juggernaught, Wheel of Fortune... it's after Revised that core editions weren't that important :)

T

train

I agree with spidey on this one...

I haven't bought "core" packs since 5th - and that was only to get cities of brass. and birds...;)

N

Notepad

Notice how 5e was when buying main sets wasn't worth it, and 5e was also the same time WotC tried a new twist: NEW ART EVERYONE!!!! HAHAHA!!!

Some of the new art was pretty neat. Though, the forests in 5e were the worst art for forest. Ever.

T

train

What I liked about 5th - Necro was back... and cap... and city of brass was in it... and birds...

and that's about it...

The worst card in any set - island...;)

N

Nightstalkers

They definitely need to reprint some nightstalkers, give them a great flare for the extreme and just throw them out as playable promos or something. Wouldn't it be nice if we could have another hand at that?

Nightstalker Habuki

N

Notepad

Indeed. There never really was much of a reason to play Return of the Nightstalkers with the paltry few they offered in P2 and Mirage block.

R

Rooser

Tie between 4th and 6th - both are just really balanced and fun. Not overpowered, and missing most of the awkward weird junk that plagued the main set through 5th edition.

7th ed.? 8th ed.? Yucktacular!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I hated 6th for the rules changes, and it isn't that powerful, but it has some good choices for reprints (and some bad ones)...

I don't see 5th as being worse than 4th by too much though...