Best Edition

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
How ya' doin'! Welcome to the CPA!

How do you mean "best edition"? Do you mean "What's the best Edition of the basic set?" That's easy enough - for me, that would be Alpha/Beta/Unlimited.

Or do you mean "What's your Fav set?" If that's the case, there's currently a thread in the Issues Forum for that, and it's been posted as a Voting Topic in the Voting Booth for the last couple weeks. If that's what you meant, please go there and let us know what you think. ;)

S

Seeker of Truth

I would think that everyone's favorite version of the basic set would be whatever set was legal at the time they got into Magic. As for me, I got into the game just at the end of Revised, when packs of Dark were going for $7.00 and Legends were going for $35.00 a pack. As such, the first major basic set I had much experience with was Fourth Edition. I think we're mostly in agreement here that the quality of the main set has declined quite noticeably over the last few editions, so if I had to choose one, I would say Fourth.

Of course, if we include Chronicles with Fourth edition, there's no contest... :)

A

Apollo

Actually, I came in with fourth and yet I like Revised best.

Dual lands...

N

nodnarb24

my favorite sets are tempest and stronghold and my favorite basic set is probably revised.

S

smurfturd

Beta is the best set, black border dual lands, berserk, moxes, lotus. I came in during revised but beta is way better.

N

nodnarb24

The on;y reason beta isn't my favorite set is that everything in cost too much dough but the cards themselves are cool.

C

Chaos Turtle

For cards: Fourth Edition, which left behind most of the broken stauff and still had plenty of great cards (Island Fish Jasconius notwithstanding).

For rules: "Classic" Sixth Edition, hands-down.

I

I8Piggo

Fourth Edition/Chronicles is my favorite. It had too much crap in it, but it still had all the nice creatures, the big guys (Serra, Fatmoti, Ernie. Those were the days...), plus Savannah Lions. Not sure why they decided to reprint Channel, Mind Twist, but hey. In Fifth Edition they just took Fourth Edition, yanked out everyone's favorite cards, and over-stuffed it with the worst of Ice Age block.

F

Fire Slinger

I think the best edition for cards is Revised. As for rules, I think 6th ed is the best. But this is because I started in 6th, so I know all the rules.

M

Mefta16

My favorite card sets: Unglued and Mirodin. Unglued becuase it looked like WotC had way too much time on their hands and, the wierd art. Mirodin becuase of all those artifacts (or was it white cards? can't tell with the borders though).

Favorite Base set: 7th Edition. I started with Revised but liked 7th ed. rules and effects better. 8th just was too different and they got rid of the classic Magic font on the titles.

N

Notepad

My favorite expansion will always be Fallen Empires. Favorite base set is Revised. As for the best block ever, that would have to be Invasion block.

Awesome stuff in all of them that made it nice to get into the game.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by I8Piggo
Fourth Edition/Chronicles is my favorite. It had too much crap in it, but it still had all the nice creatures, the big guys (Serra, Fatmoti, Ernie. Those were the days...), plus Savannah Lions. Not sure why they decided to reprint Channel, Mind Twist, but hey. In Fifth Edition they just took Fourth Edition, yanked out everyone's favorite cards, and over-stuffed it with the worst of Ice Age block.
I know, Necropotence is so bad...

And I don't think they reprinted Snowfall in 5th Ed...

N

Notepad

5E was pretty bad. The only point for it was making 6E look good. ;)

N

Nightstalkers

Portal 2 was my favorite set... all the pretty nightstalkers :eek: :D

Nightstalker Habuki

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, 5th wasn't good, but core editions usually aren't. I mean, Alpha/Beta/Unlimited have some really good cards, but they also have a lot of crap. Revised and 4th editions I guess are the two more balanced of the core sets...

N

Notepad

Revised and 4E had some pretty abusive stuff in them. Though not anywhere near as abusive as A/B/U.

And as for P2...I agree that the Nightstalkers were pretty damned cool! Plus the art in P2 wasn't as crappy as P1.