Beggars can't be choosers (or Whiners!)

D

DarthFerret

I heard on the news today (with my new commute I will hear a lot of news now) that people that are being "evacuated" out of Lebanon are starting to complain that the Government of the United States of America is going to expect to be reimbursed $200.00 for the service.

I am curious how everyone here feels about that.

Personally, I think there are several valid points that the government has on this (for a change!)

#1. Unless you are a diplomat or working at the US embassy, you are visiting a country of your own free will. You were aware of the trouble in the Middle East before you went there (Unless you are a complete moron, then, I cannot help you). Why should our government foot the bill for your unsound judgement?

#2. At the cost of $200.00, I would say that it is a very inexpensive ride home. I would hazard to say that it probably cost a lot more going over there, and you should be thankful of a lower travel expense.

#3. I would hope, at the very least, that you and your family's safety is certainly worth the price tag.

#4. If you think it is too expensive of a cost, we could always just leave you there. Also, if you wish to register a complaint, we can give you a free ride to the complaint department. (It is located in the Gaza Strip!)

Ok, maybe the last point was just a bit of humor, however, I am seriously disturbed by this, and really do not think that my tax dollars (or our increasing deficit) should be used to rescue you from your own risk (or stupidity, take your pick) of going into an unstable area. This is my position, and I am wondering who agrees with me. If you don't that is fine. I respect everyone's right to an opinion and am generally interested in what others have to say on these issues.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I haven't heard anything about this and from what I've seen in this thread, it seems like you guys are right. The only way I see people might have a legitimate grievance is if they didn't know about the charge until it was too late...

I'm just getting the image of some dude chilling in Lebanon and a couple of government officials are all, "Hey, come with us." He does, and then they make him pay for being so agreeable. Probably nothing like this actually happened, but if it did, I can see why he'd be angered by the fee...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Regardless, the "chilled dude" in Lebanon should know that it's hostile that that our government has a stance to remove and protect our citizens there.

Ransac, cpa trash man

D

DarthFerret

According to a little used law enacted in 1993 I think, the government has the right to expect reimbursement for evacutation out of hostile countries, and are restricted to a maximum charge of a minimum coach rated flight. Whatever that means. I heard it said on the news yesterday that they are charging a mere $200.00. I don't know for sure, but I imagine that a coach flight would cost a lot more than that. I also do not know what destination that they ended up in.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ransac said:
Regardless, the "chilled dude" in Lebanon should know that it's hostile that that our government has a stance to remove and protect our citizens there.
It could be considered "hostile" anywhere.

Killer Joe

I don't have a formulated opinion on the actual subject but commenting on the subject of voluntarily going to a hostile area, why, I just don't get.

L

Lythand

I was first thinking.."WTF..another way for the goverment to screw people" But then again when you are being rescued from a car crash or heart attack,, your charged for the ambulance ride to the hospital..and its ussualy much more then 200$

Im all for it. Goverment will prolly take a lose anyways.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, saw a little blurb about getting reimbursed.

But nothing about people complaining about it.

Same blurb mentioned that it was going to be waived anyway.

I think in this case, people were already there before it turned "hostile".

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, some were, but my response was actually in response to KJ:
I don't have a formulated opinion on the actual subject but commenting on the subject of voluntarily going to a hostile area, why, I just don't get.