Beatin my friend silly-->pls help

F

Firestorm

Ok.

My Canadian/Chinese friend and i play @ school. Im sck of losing to him and his awesome cards(all Alliance, i think), but hes got a lot of em. His deck:

1 Phyrexian Processor
1 Shaku, Endbringer
1 Corrupt
2 Drain Life
1 Animate Dead
1 Contamination
A few Feast or Famins
A few Cursed lands
A couple Soldovi Sentry's
Some other cards(i forgot :( )
And one hella lotta swamps.

The day after i saw he was playing this, I made 2 decks, 1 was W/b, the other green. Since then i have changed a few things. The White/Black deck is made up of mercs & rebels with artifact and enchantment destruction, which includes rathi intimidators, spineless thugs, a culling of the weak, 2 ravenous rats, 2 cemetary walls, 2 lightbringers, 2 witnesses, 2 unholy strenghts, 3 soothing balms, 2 seal o cleaning

anyway, with this deck i can get rid of animate dead, contamination, phyrexian processor, but not his drain life's or the shaku endbringer.

I was thinking about putting in radiant's judgement for the endbringer, but the drain lifes and corrupts still kill me, though im not sure how he really manages it...

Deck #2: Green, starring wurms, costarring belbe's portal, with guest performances by Blastoderm, Spore Frog, and Nature's Chosen, recently hired Siverglade Elementals, funded by Feldon's Cane and Repopulate, and produced by the good people at Llanwar, who do the mana producing right the first time.

This one is able to outgun contamination, but it cant get past very much else unless i put my Joeral in there(I one got him down to 1, his turn Drain life for 19).

I need help with my decks, as you can see. Any suggestions(please not i do not have very many cards that are rare that dont "completely suck"(2 6th ed packs, 2 Diminishing Returns, god im unlucky) I am going to make a red/white deck(mabey) next to try direct damage. Too bad ive got more lightning bolts than shocks. 2 bolts if anyone cares.
Thx a bunch

D

Dark Horse

From what you were saying before, your green deck shows quite some promise. If you can, list or PM me a more complete list of it and whether or not you want it to be type 1 or type 2. By the way, for somebody without many cards, green stompy and redwins2000 are probably the two easiest deck types to make.

P

Purple_jester

Before I begin, let me ask you. WHY DO YOU THINK SHOCK IS BETTER THAN LIGHTNING BOLT?!? That's absurd! Lightning Bolt gives you 3 damage for R, while Shock inflicts only 2 damage. What gives?

Unless you're playing in Extended format only, in which case the Bolt would be illegal. Please tell me that's the case.

Ahh... I needed to get that off my chest. Now, onto your problem. Obviously, he uses the life draining spells to offset the loss due to Phyrexian Processor and Shauku. I presume he has Tutors of some sort in his deck, to help bring out these cards. We'll handle your problems separately.

1. Shauku: There are many ways to get rid of Shauku. Most of them are white. Cards Like Topple, Afterlife and Retribution are easily found. There's also Exile, but that's one hard to find card. Non-white cards include Fissure and Desert Twister.

2. Phyrexian Processor: You've got lots of ways to wreck this. Disenchants, Seals of Cleansing, Uktabi Orangutans, Shatter, Woodripper, and Keldon Vandals.

3. Always managing to get killed by one spell or the other. There's only one thing you can do, in response to ALL of his cards. Kill him faster. Red sligh or green stompy will do nicely. Just thrash him and try to ignore the pain. Fast cheese like Lightning Bolt, Incinerate and Fireblast. Evil green creatures like Rhox or Blastoderm. Add Rancors and Fireballs to taste and mix well.

D

Dark Horse

Building on what Jester said, heres a really quick green deck to beat the system IE: your friend Its also pretty cheap. Its type 1

LAND
7 Forest
9 Mountain
2 Treetop Village

CREATURES (Green)
2 Hunting Moa
2 Cradle Guard
4 Spore Frog
4 Llanwor Elves
2 Stampede Driver
3 Blastoderm
1 Jolrael, Empress of Beasts
4 Rancor

SPELLS (Red)
2 Seal of Fire
2 Lightning Bolt
2 Volcanic Hammer
2 Shock
2 Fireblast
2 Lightning Blast
3 Fireball
2 Shock Troops

ARTIFACT
2 Copper-Leaf Angel

There. Its very damaging, and has enough creatures and DD to overwhelm him. Play it all out, never block. Thats what the spore frogs are for. Also, its only 3 rares.

Good Luck

D

Duel

How about a green control deck? Zadok's decklist for t2 secret force works, or a cheap version of trinity green:

4 Derms (Duhh)
4 llanowars
4 creeping mold
4 plow under (stall)
4 other elves (I don't care which, as long as they make mana and cost under 3. Vine trellis also works)
2 tranquil groves
2 sex monkeys
2 masticores
4 simian grunts
4 river boas
4 rancor
2 thrive (Stampede driver? Collective unconciousness?)
2 treetop village
18 forests.

F

Firestorm

Thx everyone for responding

1. Green Decklist

2x Silverglade Ele.
3x Llanwar Elves
1x Folk of An- Havva
3x Blastoderm
1x Vine Tresllis(getting more)
2x Spore Frog
2x Natures Chosen
1x Food Chain(Metamorphesis?)
2x Armor of Thorns
1x Giant Catapillar(Visions was cool)
1x Deepwood Wolverine
2x Skyshroud Claim
2x Treetop Bracers
1x Wooly Spider
1x Revive
1x Compost
1x Stampede Driver
1x Repopulate
1x Feldon's Cane
1x Joeral, Empress of Beasts
2x Rootbreaker Wurm*
2x Scaled Wurms*
1x Craw Wurm*
1x Belbe's Portal
1x Stream of Life
2x Rejuvination Chamber
And the rest are forests(22)
(*:I might be getting more wurms from a different friend)
Other "Cool" Green Stuff I have:

Elephant Resurgance(Avatar of Woe deck anyone?)
Femeref Archers
Rhox
Rysorian Badger
2x Saproling Cluster
Forgotten Harvest
Joven's Ferrets
1x Silt Crawler
Vernal Equinox
Woodripper
3x Snorting Ghar
Wall of Roots
2x Yamavia Granger
Rushwood Herbalist
Land Leeches
2x Gorilla Chieftan
and then all the rest of my green=crap :(

#2. I don't think that shock is better than Lightning Bolt. No soy estupido. He has 1x Demonic Tutor in his deck.

#3. I don't have any Rancors. If I did I'm sure I could wreck him. I also have no Copperleaf's and only one Shock.

Now splashing red into my deck. My "nifty" red cards:
2x Bolt
1x Earthquake
1x Maraxus of Keld
1x Wall of Stone
1x Scoria Cat
1x Flame Wave
2x Atog
1x Keldon Champion
1x Kris Mage
4x Flame Rift
1x Veteran's Voice
1x Laccolith Warrior
1x Retromancer(this is nice card)
2x Laccolith Grunt
3x Battle Ramparts
2x Pyrotechnics
1x Arc Mage
2x Seal of Fire
2x Lightning Blast
1x Ghitu Slinger
1x Trumpet Blast
1x Mark of Fury
1x Viashino Sandscout
3x Mountain Goat :D
Some artifact destruction cards(Shatter, Crash)

I have no popular cards cept Squirrel Wrangler and a foil Parallax Wave, and that the deck has no type, cause we play casually, thx again.

Also following the "Beat him silly with no blocking" idea i have Blood Lust and Downhill charge.
With it being G/R i also have handy 2 orcish lumberjacks, a viashivan dragon, and a kird ape.

[Edited by Firestorm on August 20th, 2000 at 11:57 AM]

D

Dark Horse

You could get quite a lot of nice stuff by trading away the foil wave.

F

Firestorm

Yea, I'm hinking of trding it away, but im not sure exactly how much i should get for it... cardwise anyway.

H

Hetemti

This is what I'd make of the cards you say you have. It surely needs tweaking, though. There's some expensive stuff listed, but there should be enough mana in there to cast everything. 25 land's what I run in my red/white deck and it's mostly 4cc+. Heck...25 might be too much. :) Anyone want to work with this? (Just watch. This thread will go dead just like every other one I've posted a decklist on. Nobody loves me anymore...)

3 Blastoderm
1 Vine Trellis
3 Llanwar Elves
2 Spore Frog
1 Stampede Driver
2 Rootbreaker Wurm
1 Rhox
2 Bolt
1 Silt Crawler
1 Scoria Cat
1 Keldon Champion
1 Kris Mage
1 Arc Mage
2 Seal of Fire
1 Ghitu Slinger
3 Mountain Goat
1 Blood Lust
1 Kird Ape
1 Viashivan Dragon
2 Pyrotechnics
1 Wall of Stone
2 Orkish Lumberjack
1 Skyshroud claim
13 Forest
12 Mountain

F

Firestorm

I'm not sure if i said i had this stuff but ohwell:
Ive got 2 bloodlust n 2 skyshroud claim. Most of my cards are masques/nemesis/some prophecy/some of most urzas cept i have no saga cards at all/revised/4th. I have a bunch of commons and such from nemesis. The reason i played him with the black/white deck is because the black couldnt be targeted by the feast/famins and the white had enchntment distruction and lightbringers. Just a thought.

Back to green/red. What set has uktabi's? i have none and it pisses me off

S

superguy

I think against Corrupt/Drain Life Ivory Mask would help a lot.

H

Hetemti

It's in 6th, and I have none either.
Run both Skyshroud Claims and both Bloodlusts.

F

Firestorm

cool, thx. i didnt think about ivry mask, but its a good idea. Stupid monkeys, too evasive.

D

Dark Horse

Its possible im a little bit overpriced here, as wave is my favorite card in masques block, but I would suspect you can milk out 4-6 decent/good rares.

Also, if you plan on using belbe's portal, try and get a few more wurms. Dirtcowl is my personal favorite, though scaled and endless(if you have something like rancor.)can be very good too. Lastly, I dont remember if you mentioned it, but stampede driver is a must!

Lastly, in your list of other green stuff, you mentioned saproling cluster. Is that the one with fading, or the one where you discard from the hand. If its the one with fading I'd definitly throw that in too.

[Edited by Dark Horse on August 20th, 2000 at 05:45 PM]

D

Dark Horse

Tempest Rare

3gg (I think)
3/4

Whenever a land is played, put a +1/+! counter on dirtcowl wurm.

G

galtwish

Here's a deck that is almost all commons that should do pretty well:

4 Ramosian Sargent
4 Steadfast Guard
4 Fresh Volunteers
2 Ramosian Leiutenant
2 Lightbringer
1 Lawbringer
2 Nighwing Glider
1 Thermal Glider
2 Devout Witness
2 Story Circle
4 Topple
4 Disenchant
4 Ramosian Rally
24 Plains

You can add rares and other uncommons as you see fit, but rebels are really good at handleing big Black decks. Reverent Mantra is awesome for this sort of matchup, too.

Erik

F

Firestorm

Ok, thanks. I am having a big multiplayer match tomarrow and ill hafta see if anyone has any seargants. Today i got him down to one again, but killed me. Oh well. Ill try rebels next.

S

superguy

Dirtcowl Wurm is a creature from tempest:
4G
Whenever any opponent plays a land, put a +1/+1 counter on Dirtcowl Wurm.
3/4

Great card, that gets big real fast! Especially in multiplayer, but in duel too!