• Don't Ban Arcbound Ravager and/or Skullclamp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whatever.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Don't really follow the tourney scene so don't know if they're dominating it. Sounds like they go in a lot of decks (especially Clamp), but are they winning decks?

R

Reverend Love

I really like Knut's point about WoTC's total hypocrisy concerning combo.

We don't like combo because it turns the game into one of solitaire where matches are over within a few turns
Ok so somebody winning on turn 4 through the use of combo is bad but stomping someone out on turn 4 through Ravager or Goblins is ok....yea whatever :rolleyes:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think you're misusing "combo" there. A combo like the one he's talking about is one where your opponent stops playing, "you go off". Like ProsBloom of old. Getting a Ravager out early and beating down your opponent is not very combo-erific.

R

Reverend Love

No I meant what I said. I didn't mean to imply that Ravager is combo..it's certantly combo'ish but it's not dyed in the wool combo.

What I was trying to say is that WoTC has a problem with fast, almost unstoppable win conditions (combo) then proceeds to give players a fast, almost unstoppable win condition in Ravager and Goblins.

When playing these two aggro decks your faced with the EXACT same dilemma as stopping combo:

Can I draw my answer before they "go off".
And with Ravager your answer (wrath) turns out to be more of a stall tactic then anything.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I see what you're saying and due to the Regionals results, I can see that playing anti-artifact all the time is kinda getting at the basis of bannings since it's either "play with or play against", but Mirrodin IS the artifact block and like the author said, apparently people didn't pack anti-artifact maindeck like others did in the rest of the world.

I think there's a lot of removal that can take care of the Ravager so that while it's strong, it's not ban-worthy yet.

N

Notepad

Wasn't this just pretty obvious already? Knut should win a "here, eat our poop" award for his brilliant discovery of the obvious.

I'll begin the award ceremony by eating chili beans and sending him a special box the following day. Who's with me?

M

mythosx

im always with you sefro. This won't involve us doing and quality checks before we mail off will it? if it does im out.

M

Mr_Pestilence

Ravager is fine, but Skullclamp just gives too much card advantage. Yes, you can load up on artifact destruction and wait for the targets to appear, but isn't that kinda dumb?

If something is so good that you must be ready for it, I think I'd rather just play the broken cards.

N

Notepad

The Clamp really should only give one card. With two, it becomes as broken as it is, outdoing the best of current Blue card drawing. As much as I like to watch blue suffer from the outsourcing of one of its prime abilities, it really is rather sadistic to see something so crazy out there.

M

mythosx

if the clamp only gave one card it would suck...the problem is the fact that wizards has been slowly decreasing the power level of cards so now that they are at a point where the difference of too little and too much are only 1 unit apart. I.e. burn spells.

T

train

I beat the snot out of the ravager, skullclamp decks I played against so I think this is a non-issue...:cool:

T

train

one was 5 thank you....

It's meta - build a solid deck overall, sideboard against meta, and you've got a great chance...

Skullclamp is not powerful enough to get banned... period...

:)

M

mythosx

neither is ravager...

Just because it is the most powerful card in the set doesn't mean It's ban worthy. Alot of people like to toss around the word ban.

T

train

I see it a lot in mtgo also... people screaming it sould be banned when they get stomped by genesis chamber, or elf, clamp...

"suck it up and build a better deck... start with damping matrix, and you should do fine..."

:cool: