Banned!

What do YOU think of the latest bannings?

• Better late than never.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's the worst thing they could have done.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • That's [i]all[/i] they banned?

• I couldn't care less.

• Total voters
C

Cateran Emperor

A severe hit to the Black mages, that's for sure. I have one simple question that I want answered:

You've taken my Necro, now why haven't you given me back my Ritual?

The whole reason Ritual was banned was to slow down Trix by negating turn one Necros. So we break this down by:

1: Ban the wrong thing. Hurt an entire color.
2: Ban the right thing. Hurt an idiotic deck.
3: Forget the reason we did 1. Screw that whole color there.

Other than that gap of logic, this is a good thing on the whole.

M

Mars

I'd have no problem with Dark Ritual being brought back if they'd ban Hatred at the same time.

Go Sligh! WotC wants us to play Sligh.

Bannings! Bannings! Bannings! To the guillotine!

G

Gizmo

Originally posted by Zadok001
Hmmm... Well, FEB is still intact, albeit transformed into a TW deck. Really, TW may be quite strong, still, since it can take Stasis apart, and usually beats aggro decks too. Oath will be a challenge, I'd love to see what THAT turns into. :)
Are you mad?
FEB is dead as a dojo without Survival.
The Forsaken Stasis deck has Root Maze as a key component - Wastelands will not help as they come into play tapped.

Basically all the old tier of decks step forwards a rank, but the biggest winner is CounterSliver IMHO, as it is one of the strongest anti-Sligh decks. Sligh will possibly struggle to contain the return of white decks to Extended, and CounterOath might struggle in a field of Draw-Go decks. Pox is still very strong, it was stretching a lot to beat Trix but without that threat ii can concentrate on what it does best - kicking the living daylights out of every other deck. And before you ask, yes that includes Sligh. Secret Force is good, but I`d me more inclined to see a Donais 5c deck return and crush most decks.

P

Purple_jester

They put Force of Will on the watch list? I don't play Extended as a tournament format, so I'm near-clueless as to what combo deck type that's left viable (Trix and Survival-whatever being gone) uses FOW?

I mean, if the combo decks that abuse Force are gone, then why is it being watched?

C

Cateran Emperor

because they're incompetent... Bah, perhaps not. Excuse me for a few minutes, I'm still too angry about my Ritual to post anything logical...

T

Teferi

They just killed so many decks, and competly destroyed black, i fairly pissed right now

they just killed my pandeburst deck
no more replenish
no more dem. con.
...this isn't over it has only begun how many more good cards will they ban!

*Teferi sighs

it is a sad day for a extended player

B

Baskil

But Trix (Illusions/Donate) is still alive and kicking. If I'm not mistaken there were a couple of people who qualified using mono-blue versions of the deck. Add a bit more counter, splash a little Enlightened Tutor, and Trix is just as dominant. Mark my words.

Of course, I could be wrong and the U/g Stasis deck could dominate.

Either way, I agree with the bannings. Extended was just made 100 times better.

B

Baskil

Originally posted by Teferi
They just killed so many decks, and competly destroyed black, i fairly pissed right now
Not quite.

There are still good builds in black. Seek them out; they are there.

D

Duel

I agree with mars. Give me ritual, ban hatred.

I don't think FoW needs banning. Possibly to hurt stasis, but that's like banning ritual to hurt trix.

Stasis is god.
Oath is god.
Counter-sliver is god.
Sligh is good.
Turboland is good.

BUT, before you claim that stasis is the best, remember the environment before trix. Every deck already sideboards pyroblasts, why do they stop now?

But you will see a rise in tier 1.5 decks:
Secret force can win tournaments without being Secret Sauce
Forbidian can win games again (I LOVED forbidian)
and prison will be played!
Counter-post?
Counter-obliterate?
Tradewind-geddon?
Squeebind (cool deck!)

C

Cateran Emperor

Well, at least I still have my Dark Knights and Dauthi to play around with (for now at least).

Hatred got smashed in the face with the loss of Consult, and Black Weenie lost the mightiest card drawing engine ever. I guess that means that black is now either a support color, a weak weenie rush, or Black Control (go Skirge!)

Time to reconsider extended altogether.

Well, Contagion, Diabolic Edict, Corpse Dance, and Skittering Skirge are still around, so my black control is not dead just yet... Come to think of it, these bannings only help my black control. Hooray!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
As a person who doesn't play much (let alone true Extended), I have to say that bannings don't really affect me. I think it's amusing though, that it's taken FIVE years to get Necro banned (and I guess Consultation...) I wonder what the record is?

I was thinking Ritual could be unbanned now also, but then I thought about it some more and it still lets a player get a jump on speed, which is probably not the desirablest thing in the world... so perhaps it's better than it's still banned.

The curious thing about Survival is that they said "cards currently being introduced makes this overpowered". Huh? Aren't they supposed to test for this kind of stuff? All formats? Or does WOTC only truly care about Standard... makes you scratch your head...

Spiderman thus scratches his head...

:)

J

John`O

I believe Wizards only playtest cards for
limited , standard and block.
They probably think about T1/1.5/1.X
but those formats are too big to try and test completely.

John

G

Gizmo

And on Spidey`s point a stated reason for them banning cards is that they produce deisgn restraints on the other cards they can print. This is why Ritual is not going to come back - it makes it impossible to print powerful 4/5cc black spells as they get cast turn 2/3 and unbalance the game.

D

Duel

If they don't reprint ritual, they damn well better print some amazing black spells. Black is the only color with no way to destroy either artifacts or enchantments. It must be faster and/or more effective to make up for it.

Z

Zadok001

"Are you mad?
FEB is dead as a dojo without Survival."

Yah, I know it sounds wierd... But it's actually better than I thought it would be. Huge, gaping holes, but not totally dead. I'm not saying the thing is competetive, but it's definately not totally dead. I'll keep testing.

Btw, guys... On a slightly related topic.

A long time ago, someone wrote an article _somewhere_ about a Academy Rector/Pattern of Rebirth deck for Type 2 MM/Urza's Block. DOES ANYONE REMEMBER WHO WROTE THAT AND WHERE???

G

Gizmo

And I was playing the deck in UBC and Type-II for a while. What do you need to know?
(apart from that in extended it will probably just be a bad Secret Force deck)

G

Gizmo

Actually, I take that back.
I always liked the Rector/Pattern engine and XT might have tools to make it work now that combo is on the wane - you could probably build a version that wrecked aggro decks, but it would almost certainly be terrible against control decks.