Banding Deck?

L

littlesaltz

I have heard that there is such thing as a banding deck, lost deep in the jungles of the ancient Mayan city of Kwitzyarof. Can anyone tell me where I could find a decklist(s) of this? I have searched the Dojo/MtgNews/CPA etc.

Saltz

L

littlesaltz

Aw, nobody knows? I'm going to have to post this elsewhere, cya.

Saltz

D

Darth Dunk

Believe me when I say this:

BANDING DECKS DON'T WORK!!!

Believe me, I made one. As some of you may know, it is the reason why I refuse to play white in any serious way.

The reason is simply that banding is a support ability, not the kind of thing to make a deck on. It is specifically for you to chump block tramplers and thorn elementals. Although this is a great ability, it comes at too great a cost. Having a deck filled withh 2/2 flying banding first strikers and 2/2 banding tramplers is cool, but not when you have to pay 5 or 6 mana for anything that can deal any damage. My suggestion - make a standard white weenie deck, and add small banders if you need to block tramplers and take no damage that bad.

D

Duel

hye, how does banding work when blocking a thorn elemental?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Darth Dunk: Well, assuming your base is white anyway, you can just add Crusade to pump up your dudes and if you're really set on the large cc banders, increase your mana production so you don't fall behind. But you should be able to make a white weenie bander deck (kinda like what you said) or a bands deck on a mana curve.

Duel: from crystalkeep.com:

If a creature with banding blocks the Thorn Elemental, the defending player decides whether or not the Thorn Elemental deals damage as normal or to the defending player "as though it weren't blocked". [bethmo 99/09/22]
Nothing really tricky about it; just how banding always worked for the defending player. :)

R

rkoelsch

banding never caught on, besides being confusing as heck, is that it works far better defensively than offensively. And it required multiple creatures which means that it does not stand on its own very well. Now don't get me wrong I love banding and I was sorry that wizards decided to can it. But it was a casual ability that required pro knowledge to play.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I pretty much liked it because of its damage assignation ability (which might be what you're saying). For the attacking side, band something that's big enough to take out the biggest possible defender and you can "sacrifice" your lesser attacker. Then the defender has to think "hmmm, do I block and lose my guy or take the combined damage?" (assuming no other tricks in mind, the attacker has a way of dealing with the defender attacking next turn, blah, blah, blah).

L

littlesaltz

Seeing as how I started this thread, I suppose I should actually post my current banding deck. The cards are basically from the bottom of my white box, so please excuse the suboptimal ones. Also, my Crusade, Glorius Anthem, and Castles are in other decks.

4 Benalish Hero
4 Mesa Pegasus
3 Benalish Infantry
3 Kjeldon Skycaptain
2 Kjeldon Warrior
2 Teremko Griffen
1 Chieften en-Dal
1 Elite Javelineer
1 Hollow Warrior
1 Kjeldon Skyknight
1 Pikemen
1 War Elephant

1 Wall of Spears
1 Wall of Essence
1 Wall of Swords
1 Sunweb
1 Prison Baricade
4 Fortified Area (Lots of fun)

2 Piety
2 Warriors Honor
1 Anoint
1 Samite Blessing

There it is. Samite Blessing is great, because I can redirect all damage to one creature and have the blessed creature use the ability (I know it's better with en-Kor). Warriors Honor and Piety are great for blocking fatties, and Warriors Honor helps for attacking. The deck is great in Multiplayer, because no one sees a bunch of Benalish guys as a threat.

Saltz

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know what the creature types of some of your dudes, but maybe throw in a Coat of Arms if you have enough Soldiers?

The Walls and Fortified Areas seem a bit odd here. Maybe you need defense or something in multiplayer, but they seem more appropriate to a Wall sort of seck with Rolling Stones/Animate Wall. But if it's working... <shrug>

You also don't seem to have any removal/utility spells like Swords or Disenchant. Are you finding you don't need them?

I just ask because I played a white weenie vs. a Dueling Grounds type deck (Griffy's) and I REALLY could have used a Disenchant... all the banding and first strike didn't help when only one of my guys could attack/block.

L

littlesaltz

Yeah, the walls are pretty wierd. I am desperatly searching for a cheap Rolling Stones. They are great with Sunweb and Prison Blockade. Coat of Arms might be nice, as I have 6 heroes, 6 soldiers, and 6 Walls.

Now that I look at it, I don't have any disenchants. None of the decks I currently play rely on to many enchantments, but I think my friend is making a Invioblity/En-Kor deck :). My 1 StP is in use in another deck.

Thanks for the suggestions Spiderman.

Saltz

F

fuzzy510

The thought that anyone would ever think about making a banding deck just scares me. The only thing I'd choose a banding deck over would be a planeswalk deck.