Band Camp

Killer Joe

Wahoo! It's that time of the year again where I have to convince 95 kids that they love to be out in the sun working twice as hard as the football team (I'm pusing them towards "Corps" style) and make them think they like it. Truth be told, most of them like it (as I did when I was in my HS marching band) anyway.
Now I know some of YOU were in the band or something in your HS music department. So tell us, what's your funniest, best or worst memory from band camp or other facet?
My personal favorite was when my band director said for the drumline (I'm a drummer) to go behind the school and work on memorizing our parts for the halftime show. We went around the back of the building and slept. Two hours later we played with the band and things went well. HOW come? We had taped our music to the backs of the kids standing in front of us. How cool is that?
BTW, for you new folks, I'm a High School band director.

D

Duster

And one time at band camp....!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself ;)

K

krichaiushii

Here is my funny band story. It also led to my first, and only, suspension while in high school. Keep in mind that I went to a small high school in Ohio, that had a good show band (we were invited to France for their Bicentennial, but couldn't raise the funds).

Being a freshman tuba player, I wanted to hang out with the cool senior tuba and the percussion section leaders. They mentioned to me a tradition they had of getting drunk before a football game against a certain school. Wanting to impress my new role-models, I asked to go with them. It was agreed that I could go if I could get alcohol. A few hours later, we have a bottle of peppermint schnapps (reminiscent of drinking a LOT of Scope) and a six pack of Bud. Wow! Did that make for a nasty combination!

Fast forward a few hours and much drinking later, and I am in uniform and in a chair in the bandroom, coat thrown over my face, as the light hurt my eyes. After evacuating my stomach on the band room floor, I was poured onto the bus.
A one-hour nap and bus ride later, and we were at the game.

Half-time rolled around, and the show began. I could stand on my own by this time, but only just. In addition, my school didn't have the wraparound Sousaphones, just the smaller tubas that could be carried on your shoulder -- making one very top heavy. The show that year featured the tuba section, generally in the middle of the field. Lucky me was on the 50 yard line for about half the show, walking up and down, backwards and forwards, with a few flashy dips, besides. Behind the tubas was the percussion line -- far enough away not to run into, but close enough to hear their comments -- and laughter.

My playing skills were never the best when at my peak, and being drunk and a new tuba player, I was far from my peak. In fact, I pretty much forgot where I was going except for the most general of locations. As such, my memories of that particular show consist of being pushed and pulled by the tuba players on either side of me for the evening, while the drum line laughed on... luckily, the real band director was in Columbus, as he was a judge for the state band competition taking place the next day.

Saturday morning finally gets there, and we hop on the buses we had the night before. It turns out one of my companions had vomited on his bus the night before. And in the heat of the Saturday, crammed onto a bus full of people, it was just awful to smell. Luckily (for me) the rifles and flags took that bus to State.

Upon arrival there (a looooong four hour trip), we got yelled at by the real director and performed. I think we got a two. The following Monday had us all called to the office and subsequently serving a week inschool and a week's out of school suspensions.
A funny side note involves my only-child friend and fellow tuba player. His parents videotaped EVERYTHING he did in school, but that particular footage mysteriously disappeared, a shame really, as I have always wanted to see just how bad it was.

This does not condone drinking to excess, nor does it recommend it. It just relates what happened. Such is life. Though not funny at the time, I chuckle about it today.

E

ErinPuff

*gasp* Band camp! Oh yeah, that's coming up in a few weeks... I guess I'd better work on *hehe* memorizing my music...

(I play flute, and no, I don't do anything with it besides play it, if ya know what I mean)

A

Apollo

Geez! We've got a great role model on this site.

I just saw that movie for the first time yesterday. It's hilarious.

K

krichaiushii

I think I make a great role-model. A true model of what NOT to do. ;)

Everyone makes dumb mistakes, its just that mine make me laugh, so I don't mind sharing them.

Killer Joe

Well, I'm survivin'. It's friday and it's MAGIC TIME (like hammertime). The show looks great (Beatles theme-Almindra knows this show). The kids sound better than ever before (I love 'em), and no one has fallen over from exhaustion yet.

K

krichaiushii

Watch those tuba players. I have known many in my time, and every single one was a firm chaotic. Being one, I know... ;)

How come no band ever did a Jethro Tull theme show? I mean, you could make a train on the field and march across it during Locomotive Breath, make a ship of sorts for North Sea Oil or Seal Driver, and feature flute solos throughout. Now THAT would be a cool show.

(My band dream...)

T

The Magic Jackal

Some girl was telling me something about band camp at a party the other day. It had something to do with her flute, but I just can't remeber exactly what it was....

A

Almindhra

I was in MB for 5 years, starting in 7th grade...I won the Rookie of the Year Award too...Some funny stories...

* My first football game...I was sitting in the tall bleachers, and I copied some of the older students and placed my trombone down into the stands with the bell sitting on the seat, well I forgot to lock it, and my slide fell down on the ground way below...I had to get it, and I felt like an idiot...

* During the winter time, we'd be practicing the marching drill in the freezing cold, and our slides would freeze and we couldn't play...nice way of getting out of playing...:)...

* All those times when we would march out onto the field and the announcers during half time would introduce the band and the soloists...And they would always call me Dominic...

* Playing drill down when Yellowjacket was our teacher...He would shout out commands and we would have to follow, and if we made a mistake we would be knocked out...I was competitive in it because I loved it so much...The times I was knocked out, I would swear...( Ooops! )...And once I finally won!...

* Argh...When we were at the State Fair and I went to buy some lemonade from a guy at a stand...And he was hitting on me and sold me the drink for less than it was and he said to me "...And I'll see you later tonight"...And all my friends left me and I was all alone with El Creepo there...I was only in 7th grade and really scared...

Theres many more that I know I can't think of...My senior year I quit to be in Lil' Shop of Horrors with a community theatre group...My band teachers were mad at me, but I would much rather be in a musical than that crap...;)...I will miss the low brass section now that I'm going to college...I was their "section leader" for 3 years...They were a great group of kids...Oh!...I'm going to miss them...

T

theorgg

y'becha
somthin's gonna get ya!
y'becha
you better bewaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAaaaare!
little shop! littleshop of HORRORS!
little shop! littleshop of Terror!
Haunted shop! Little Shop of Horrors!
ooooOOOOoooooOOOOOOoooooooooooo.....

A

Almindhra

Yeah, I sang that song...I was Ronnette...The tougher of the street urchins...It was so much fun...And everyone loves that musical