bad book to card transitions

D

Doombringer

I read the three books in the legends series (Johan, Jedit, Hazezon) and then looked up the card counterpart of Jedit, one of the main characters in the series. In the story, Jedit Ojanen was a Cat warrior who was twice as strong as any human and had lightning quick reflexes. the card was just 5/5 gold for seven mana :eek: . I was surprised at how bland he was, I think he should have been more along the lines of a 4/5 with double or first strike :) .

Does anyone have other examples of bad book to card transitions?:confused:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Johan in the book is WAY more powerful than the one on the card. I don't think Jedit one is unreasonable...

N

Notepad

Glissa from the Mirrodin book was a great hunter that brought down big beasts (able to kill 5/5s and the like, but only a 3/2 first strike???) and she was a hunter. People died around her a lot. There was nothing of her wrecking artifacts.

Bosh in the Mirrodin book was mostly a protector and vehicle with a serious case of amnesia. Nothing of flinging artifacts around.

Slobad from the Mirrodin book was a master tinkerer. He didn't sacrifice any artifacts. In fact, he'd repair dang near anything, including Bosh, without much supplies. Never needed to break down stuff for parts. Oh, and he had a nice little flamestick weapon/tool. Nothing at all like his card.

Similar circumstances for all the books I've read. The characters just don't match the cards. You might as well just make a thread of "Hey, anybody read a book character that's like the card?"

In that case, the only card I know that resembles the book counterpart is Karona. One friggen card among all the ones they've printed.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Some of it is undoubtably the play value of the card. In some cases, they may be too powerful in the book than to be on a card or they'll unbalance it and in others, their abilities in the book may not be interesting enough for the block.

D

Doombringer

A card that i think did work was Hazezon, in the books he made hard as dioamond sand warriors, and his card makes them.

N

Notepad

Originally posted by Spiderman
Some of it is undoubtably the play value of the card. In some cases, they may be too powerful in the book than to be on a card or they'll unbalance it and in others, their abilities in the book may not be interesting enough for the block.
Well, taking Glissa for example, they could have kept her interesting without making her too powerful.

Glissa:
First Strike is fitting, but maybe "Protection from Beasts" or even an ability to kill beasts. Maybe some boost when she's equipped. That would fit the book.

Slobad:
Tap to regen an artifact. Maybe something to recover artifacts from the graveyard. Maybe even protection from Artifacts, since he lived among Levelers for a while.

Bosh:
Just your standard huge fattie. However, maybe make him a lot cheaper and give him a "chimeric" aspect, since he tended to need repair a lot, hence a need for mana to work every turn.

Ixidor:
More fitting for card drawing and summoning assistance of some sort. Maybe a tapping for mana for critters. He certainly didn't have anything to do with morph creatures. He just created junk.

Chainer:
Somewhat fitting, except he should've had a targeting kill like Visara, but where you take the creature as a Nightmare. That would fit the book. And, he was a hell of a lot stronger than a mere 3/3, so upping his power to maybe 5/5 would warrant increasing his casting cost to match the ability.

The First:
Protection from Black is totally a must here, even though he did get killed by a nightmare from Braids. The rest of the time he was totally unkillable by his own black mafia. Oh, and his nature of sacrificing everyone should have meant he got the "everyone sacs something" ability that Braids has. Was strong, but should have been something like a 0/5 that makes life loss or -1/-1 counters.

Braids:
Give her sac ability to The First instead. She was really a lunatic, altering personality between different writers, but she should have been given a nightmare summoning assistance ability, even if it was just "nightmares you control get +1/+1."

Phage:
Actually, another character who fit the book compared to the card. Though she did have the ability to summon nightmare wurms, so maybe giving her an assitance to Bane of the Living woulda fit more. And in the art, she should have a visible nasty scar across the belly from Kamhal's Mirrari Sword.

Akroma:
She wasn't all-powerful in the books. She just had a crapload of tactical knowledge thanks to Ixidor's creations which she took over after his disappearance. Oh, and she had a lance, and was part jaguar, which is not reflected in the art.

Mirrari:
Did not mirror what you did. Instead, it boosted power towards destructive ends. Maybe a life payment for mana or something, to be more along the lines of Mirari's Wake (the wake shoulda been totally different though). Yes, mana to life cards are dangerous, but they should have made an exception.

Skellum:
Chainer's trainer. Never a card, but he damn certainly shoulda been. A master nightmare summoner and dementia mage.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe someone should submit to Ask Wizards... "why don't the cards match the characters in the novels?" :)

N

Notepad

I think they have on multiple occassions, and the answer people just gave some stupid BS about "oh, its artistic license and anyway they're under different development cycles" or some garbage. So, they can't coordinate this stuff? How sad. All that money and all those stupid geeks running around, and nobody can coordinate jack squat? Damn, give me five bucks and a date with Cathy Nickoloff and I'll fix all that in a day. :D :D :D

R

Reverend Love

SeFRo, Forum Pundit Legend
Clown - Legend

SeFRo, Forum Pundit Legend has protection from moderators
SeFRo, Forum Pundit Legend cannot be banned

Tap, Target Forum thread dies.

Never underestimate the powers of a dark clown! - Darth Bobo
2/2
Artist - Andy Warhol

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I've been reading Ask Wizards for a while and I don't really remember that kind of question asked. But there's a lot, so I might have missed some :)

Good thing I have that thingie that removes all protection :p

N

Notepad

Originally posted by Reverend Love
SeFRo, Forum Pundit Legend
You forgot the disability:
Sefro cannot be played in a sanctioned tournament unless the year is equal or greater to 2007.

Heh. :D

Thanks, I have something to add to my titles over in the upper left-hand corner. :D ;)