Bad Blue Mage!

Discussion in 'Single Card Strategies' started by train, Sep 10, 2002.

1. train The Wildcard!!!...

Voidmage Prodigy is Kai Budde's invitational card:

Voidmage Prodigy - UU
    Creature - Wizard
    UU, Sacrifice a Wizard: Counter target spell.
    Morph: U
    2/1

Isn't this just a little broken?
    :eek:
  2. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Maybe. First, it's a creature with 1-toughness. It can be killed rather easily. Second, this is probably the most demanding and most limited of the permanent-based counterspells (except for maybe Null Brooch) and it's difficult to use at will, unlike plain old Counterspell.

It's pretty good, but I wouldn't call it broken.

(- Steve -)
  3. train The Wildcard!!!...

I'll tell you what, the blue mage will wish he could have countered my breaking his nose as an instant, before this spell resolved and became a permanent.
  4. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Believe me, train, the blue mage has other ways besides this little dork to deal with your fist.

(- Steve -)
  5. Mikeymike Captain Hiatus

Dude, I thought Breaking Nose was a sorcery?

Yeah, this little bastard is a problem. The reason being it seems so easy right now to build a good Wizard Tribe deck. Let's see, good Wizards:

Shadowmage Infiltrator
    Grim Lavamancer
    Hapless Researcher
    Ghosthelm Courier (2U) (Onslaught also)
    Creature - Wizard
    You may choose not to untap Ghosthelm Courier during your untap step.
    2U, Tap: As long as Ghosthelm Courier remains tapped, target Wizard gets +2/+2 and can't be the target of spells or abilities.
    2/1
    And then more Onslaught stuff.

U/R/g with Genesis and a good way to discard can be STRONG
  6. BigBlue Magic Jones

Isn't there another onslaught wizard with morph which is T:Counter target spell unless it's caster pays 1.
  7. train The Wildcard!!!...

Breaking Nose is a Sorcery, but I play it at Mana Source speed - erreta-ed to be an ability so fast it doesn't use the stack...
  8. Deadman New Member

Wow, does that cost extra or what?
  9. BigBlue Magic Jones

Does Breaking Nose work Like a Roundhouse in Lunch Money? In otherwords if I dodge it, does it move to the player on the left or right? :D

And at least it isn't Break Wind, that card stinks.
  10. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Bah-dum-dum...
  11. train The Wildcard!!!...

There's no extra cost to the caster, but there's an E.R. bill that'll cost the opponent...

I'm not sure if it works like roundhouse - I usually don't miss - it's so unexpected and all, the opponent is usually still shuffling when I do it, so they're not looking up...

I haven't been affected by a break wind yet, but when you walk into a convention room during round 16 of worlds, you can sense break winds all around you!!!:D