Back from the PTQ!

R

RabidKimba

Yesterday was the PTQ at the War Room in Atlanta, so I decided to go and scrub out with the following pile:

Calling Rage on the Mage?

4 Blurred Mongoose
4 Mystic Snake
4 Gaea's Skyfolk
4 Kavu Titan
2 Flametoungue Kavu
2 Fire/Ice
4 Lay of the Land
4 Repulse
4 Exclude
4 Temporal Spring
4 Fact or Fiction
8 Forest
7 Island
1 Mountain
4 Yavimaya Coast

Sideboard:
4 Gainsay
3 Confound
3 Tranquility
3 Jungle Barrier
2 Flametongue Kavu

I usually found myself boarding out 1-2 Facts, 1-2 Titan, and 1 of various tempo cards, and faced no creatureless decks, and 5/7 Blue decks. Unluckily, Confound was COMPLETELY useless, I didn't even board it in once. The deck's title came from about 3 opponents calling "Urza's Rage" on their Meddling Mages, and me trying not to smile. I managed to go 4-3 drop with the deck, the 3 losses putting me out of Top 32 range (180 person tournament!). 2 of my 3 match losses were because of Spectral Lynx and Voice of All, the decks worst nightmare. Now I see why most versions run more burn. I'm not going to write a tournament report, because I didn't take notes, sorry. :(

Good things about the deck: It's usually very consistent, and doesn't bore you out of your mind playing for 7 rounds.
Bad things: I had to double-mulligan 3 times! I lost the games that I had to double-mulligan, but I won 2 of the matches. I'd reccomend the deck to you guys, but with the following change to the sideboard:

4 Gainsay
2 Mountain
2 Urza's Rage
2 Flametoungue kavu
3 Jungle Barrier
2 Metagamed slots (I chose Tranquility, because Dark Domain was pretty big that day, and it single-handedly won me a match. :))

If you're feeling risky, maybe even trade the Gainsays in for the Excludes/FoFs, it probably would have served me better.

Good luck if you plan on playing the deck, I'm probably going to play it in the 2-slot PTQ on Sept. 15!