Back from the dead

T

terzarima

Has anybody else noticed that Sparring Golem (Inv) has the exact same ability as rampage? Have the people at WOTC ran out of ideas and have to re-animated rampage?

D

Darsh

Well there are 4888 different cards in Magic so I wouldn't be surprised if they just threw it in. Anyway it isn't exactly like rampage, rampage is "creature gets +X/+X for each creature blocking after the first"...at least I think so.

L

Landkiller

Really! I thought there was 4887. Shucks, musta missed one ;)

G

Gizmo

It`s not QUITE rampage, but it is a close analogy. I think they basically decided Rampage was a good ability, but badly worded so made a simplified version - first seen on Elvish Berzerker in Exodus, yes?

D

DÛke

...keep saying that WotC has ran out of ideas?
Wasn't Invasion enough or something? I mean, come on! Most of the cards in Invasion are bran new cards with bran new abilities. Kicker? That sounds good to me, and don't even tell me it's a "watered-down" version of "whatever".

As for the ability, well, some cards you have to give them what you have to give them, no matter how "old" the "mechanic" is or whatever.

I bet in the future we'll see a creature with "All creatures blocking ~ gain -1/-1 until end of the turn", sure, you'll say it resemble flanking, but hey, the card just MIGHT beg for something like that, so hey:)...

There:)...

D

Dark_Tira

Actually, I thought it was supposed to resemble rampage since Sparring Golem is pretty much a reprint of Horrible Hordes.

F

FoundationOfRancor

I think its a decent card, and yes, rampage still excists, just not officially. This is the "less confusing" wording now.

DUke: This is an old coversation. I like invasion, it was just very low on new ideas. Kicker wasnt explored nearly enough, the pile cards are...well, piles (Even though i do like them), and eveything is a reprint with multicolor stuff attached. Im not saying its a bad thing, just pointing it out.

D

Duel

But at least the reprints are good:

Good:
Ravenous rats
Harrow
Quirion elves
Soul Burn (To a lesse extent)

Bad:
Zap

see?

and What's so confusing about rampage?