B/G with Fallen Angel

G

Griffith_se

I had an idea that, Fallen Angel might would work well with Penumbra Creatures.
My build probably leaves a lot to be desired though, its just an idea without a lot of thought put toward a working model .
Suggetions, for a working model that is?

Creature's 14
4 Penumbra Bobcat
4 Penumbra Kavu
3 Saproling Burst
3 Fallen Angel

Spell's
4 Yawgmoth's Agenda

4 Dark Ritual
4 Rampant Growth

4 Pernicious Deed
4 Forced March

Land's
2 Hickory Woodlot
4Llanowar Wastes
2 Peat Bog
6 Swamp
10 Forest

S

superguy

Four Agendas is probably too much, not needed, and soesn't exactly work well with Dark Ritual. Maybe more creatures (Blastoderm, Hunted Wumpus) because you may have trouble in the early game getting a blocker. Good idea!

K

krichaiushii

Since you've the black, perhaps a Living Death, as a back up? Using the Fallen Angel will fill up your graveyard, as well. I would think it works quite well with Penumbra creatures.

But then you might have to go for scads of smaller creatures to have early defense. Hunted Wumpus might work VERY well.

Just a thought.

G

Griffith_se

I had another idea.
The Split card Life / Death- for G it turns your lands into 1/1 Creatures I could sac extra land to the Angel.
Doe's that sound like a good option?

S

superguy

Dude that's an awesome idea! You can get back a Penumbra critter for the second go, or turn your lands into 1/1 food sticks! (for the angel that is) That's some good synergy!

G

Griffith_se

Something like this maybe?
To bad Death Mutation cost's so much, if it was like 4GB I'd probably use it.

Creature's 14
4 Penumbra Bobcat
4 Penumbra Kavu
3 Saproling Burst
3 Fallen Angel

Spell's 20
2 Yawgmoth's Agenda

4 Harrow
4 Rampant Growth

4 Life / Death

4 Pernicious Deed
2 Forced March

Land's 24
1 Hickory Woodlot
4Llanowar Wastes
3 Peat Bog
5 Swamp
11 Forest

G

Griffith_se

Hmm, just noticed that I have two open spots.
Suggestions?

1 Burst, 1 Angel ?
2 Agenda ?
2 Skyshroud Claim?
2 Forced March?
2 Penimbra Wurm?
1-2 Death Mutation (costs 6BG) ?

G

Gizmo

Hmm, the Angel bit sounds really good (I should know I posted it about 6 months ago and nobody noticed).

The Life/Death is amazing in this deck, nothing short of it. Life is a total kicking, and Death is a solid spell with synergy as well.

What i`m not sure about here is if you aren`t better losing the control of the Deed and playing Birds/Elves and Ebony Treefolk and playing an aggro deck instead.

And also with the Penumbral Kavu in you are really clogging up at the top end of your deck, which makes the Bogs etc weaker, there is so much here that cost 5cc that it`s not being very well utilised, as you`d get your monsters down better by spreading the curve a bit.

Fundamentally I just don`t think that the Penumbral monsters are very good, so if I built the deck as good as it could be I would probably go without them:

4 Birds
4 Elves
4 Ebony Treefolk
3 Thornscape Battlemage
3 Flametongue Kavu
4 Fallen Angel
3 Saproling Burst

4 Duress
3 Life/Death
2 Persecute
2 Twilight`s Call

2 Darigaaz`s Caldera
2 Sulfurous Springs
4 Karplusan Forest
4 Llanowar Wastes
5 Swamp
7 Forest

Guess thats this 'Dark Fires' I hear so much about, but with Life/Death tech. Needs somethig else to abuse graveyard recursion with really, shame Plaguelord has gone.

S

superguy

Here's what I'd do:

1) Take out the other two Forced Marches. You already have the Deed, and Forced March may be unnecessary and hard to cast (even though you do run Rituals and land fetchers).

2) The four free spots I'd probably fill in with Duress. Counterspells can be a real problem for this deck. Also, I'd cut down on a few Harrows and/or Ramprant Growth to run some more creatures.

Edit: I posted this before I saw Gizmo's reply. Definitely consider his suggestions as well.

Gizmo: Glad to see a deck without Spiritmonger? :)
Good article by the way!

G

Gizmo

I gave my list above a spin on Apprentice. played vs some guy who was pretty god, trying to run the UGB CounterDeed deck I suggested in my article. He won 2-1 in three very tight games and I think you might need the red Battlemage in here. Certianly he would be SB but I was struggling to get bast the Deeds he kept Reclaiming (the games were VERY close). Otherwise the deck did ok, it wasn`t the right matchup to test every facet of the deck, but it performed ok and I`d happily replay the matchup.

The deck is really missing Boneshredder or something similar. Ravenous Rats maybe, esp if you play Thunderscape Battlemages as that gives real discard power. For now I`d run this variant and see what goes wrong in future.

G

Griffith_se

Originally posted by Gizmo

Guess thats this 'Dark Fires' I hear so much about, but with Life/Death tech. Needs somethig else to abuse graveyard recursion with really, shame Plaguelord has gone.
Just wondering, have you seen the Life/Death "tech." before?
Did I actually come up with a good idea (good "tech.")?

When you played did you get a chance to use it?

For abusing graveyard Recursion - This is gonna sound stupid probably, Twilight's Call plus Monkey Cage could be very abusive.

C

Captain Caveman

Here's something totally out of left field.........

What about Penumbra guy's and Death Pit Offering? I know its
not a tournament type of idea but maybe it can work on a
casual basis.

How about a Roshambo Variant? We have the pain lands,
Penumbra guy's, Life(land)/Death, DpO, Idols, etc. Again,
just a casual idea.

Caveman

G

Griffith_se

Originally posted by Captain Caveman

How about a Roshambo Variant?
Caveman
Don't know what Roshambo is?

I was actually was thinking about Death Pit Offering. If you have deck list in mind I'd really like to see it.

G

Gizmo

As far as I`m aware Life/Death is all yours Griffith. :)

Roshambo was an MBC block constructed deck that basically functioned as a combination of DPO and natural Affinity (all lands are 2/2 till end of the turn) to produce a sudden army of death to beat down on your opponent with, and there was an additional 'take the piss' card in the shape of Massacre, which would kill their 2/2 lands but not your 4/4 lands, thus leaving them with 0 lands.
I`m not sure it would run in T2.

AS for this deck, I`m currently running this version and finding it does everything I want it to do.

4 Birds Of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elf
3 Ebony Treefolk
4 Thornscape Battlemage
2 Thunderscape Battlemage
2 Flametongue Kavu
4 Fallen Angel
4 Saproling Burst

4 Duress
3 Life/Death
2 Persecute

2 Darigaaz`s Caldera
3 Sulfurous Springs
4 Karplusan Forest
4 Llanowar Wastes
5 Swamp
6 Forest

SB:
1 Thunderscape Battlemage
2 Spiritmonger
2 Terminate
3 Simoon
1 Tsabo`s Decree
some other cards

N

NeuroDeus

I played a lot against 'Roshambo' aka 'Land Attack' decks at the end of the last summer. They were a craze simply because of the way these 2/2 land where turned into 9/9 creatures using Vitalizing Wind. The only problem with this deck is it's quite slow compared to other decks...

M

Mikeymike

You know Griffith_Se, its seems everytime I read one of your posts your putting down your own deck building/magic skills, but the decks you've been posting have been very cool and original. You pump out decks like a madwoman and they always seem damned interesting. Be proud of it.

In reference to the deck, run 4 Bursts. 1) Its rarely ever bad to draw one 2) they work so well with the Fallen Angel.

I definitely agree with Gizmo about the Penumbra Kavu's, I've tried them in 2 recursion decks and they stink. They work with the Angel, but if its the sac affect your after try Spontaneous Generation or Squirrel Wrangler (!?!) instead. I think I'd keep the bobcat, their CC is cheap enough to merit the inclusion of that combo in the deck.

I also like the idea of adding red but your going to having a tough time with the mana consistency w/o birds or a ton of pain lands.

In regards to Caveman's idea: How about a DPO deck where the only creatures are Nether Spirits (and maybe a Fallen Angel or 2), and token generation in Spontaneous Generation (Phyrexian Arena Synergy), Life/Death, Saproling Bursts, Idols and maybe natural Affinities. I think I might try that.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Just thought that this was important enough to repeat

You know Griffith_Se, its seems everytime I read one of your posts your putting down your own deck building/magic skills, but the decks you've been posting have been very cool and original. You pump out decks like a madwoman and they always seem damned interesting. Be proud of it.
Word. :)

G

Griffith_se

Stop it, I'll try to sound a little less pathetic from now on.