Azorius Poor Man's Caller of the Claw [EDH]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, Tobias is never going to be the most popular of the Legends Retold. But I had an idea for this deck and it's an excuse to run Iridescent Drake, so here we are. Basically, my commander is a worse version of Caller of the Claw, but in Azorius colors. I've got plenty of sac outlets and recursion, so making infinite zombies should happen at some point.

Commander:
1 Tobias, Doomed Conqueror

1 Academy Rector
1 Altar of Dementia
1 Angelic Renewal
1 Ao, the Dawn Sky
1 Arcane Denial
1 Arid Mesa
1 Ashnod's Altar
1 Brainstorm
1 Breath of Life
1 Chain of Vapor
1 Command Tower
1 Congregate
1 Counterspell
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Dig Through Time
1 Dovin's Veto
1 Dreamscape Artist
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Esper Sentinel
1 Evacuation
1 Fabled Passage
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Faith's Reward
1 False Demise
1 Fanatical Devotion
1 Fiend Hunter
1 Flagstones of Trokair
1 Flooded Strand
1 Force of Will
1 Generous Gift
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Heliod's Pilgrim
1 Iridescent Drake
7 Island
1 Kami of False Hope
1 Karmic Guide
1 Late to Dinner
1 Loyal Retainers
1 Mana Drain
1 Marsh Flats
1 Martyr's Cause
1 Maze of Ith
1 Mistveil Plains
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Mother of Runes
1 Mox Diamond
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
1 Nim Deathmantle
1 Phyrexian Altar
9 Plains
1 Polluted Delta
1 Ponder
1 Prismatic Vista
1 Private Research
1 Pure Reflection
1 Raven Familiar
1 Rhystic Study
1 Rout
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Sea of Clouds
1 Second Sunrise
1 Serra Ascendant
1 Shepherd of the Cosmos
1 Sol Ring
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Solitude
1 Sower of Temptation
1 Spirit Mirror
1 Strip Mine
1 Su-Chi
1 Sun Titan
1 Supreme Verdict
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Time Wipe
1 Treasure Cruise
1 Treasure Vault
1 Tundra
1 Unnatural Selection
1 Wasteland
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wrath of God
1 Wurmcoil Engine

Last edited:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Only piloted this one once so far. I nearly won, but kept getting hit by enchantments specifically, and I didn't slot that much enchantment removal into this. The guy who kept disrupting me paid a price for it, though, and we basically stopped each other from winning and handed the game to a third player. Deck performed decently, though.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Kept a lousy hand and got stuck in a rut, but the whole table kind of stalled. I used Force of Will to stop the player running Kagha, Shadow Archdruid from comboing off with Necrotic Ooze. Eventually, I set up Shepherd of the Cosmos + Angelic Renewal + Martyr's Cause + Tobias, Doomed Conqueror. I had to pass the turn and see if my opponents could stop the zombie army. They could not. The Kagha player was one turn away from assembling another win condition.

Played a second game with this one at the end of the night, but the store was closing and we ran out of time. Hilariously, I stopped one of my opponents, playing a deck helmed by Runo Stromkirk, just as he was about to try to claim victory. He used Whelming Wave, but I had Ao, the Dawn Sky. I sacrificed the dragon to Phyrexian Altar and looked to see what its ability would give me from the top 7 cards of my library. My assumption was that I'd then use the mana to cast Evacuation, but I knew there was a chance I'd hit Kami of False Hope or something. Well, the Ao gave me Unnatural Selection, which I then used to turn one attacker into a coward and the other into a brushwagg. At that point, we had to pack up and leave the game, but wow. What a play to go out on!