Ayn Rand

Killer Joe

seriously, does anyone believe her ideas are still relevant in today's society?

I wonder if today's conservatives who are being influenced by media talking heads promoting her book Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead know that she was pro-choice and pretty much hated Reagan?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ann, Ayn, you mean they aren't the same?
I guess insulating myself from cable news was a good thing.

Am I the only on that didn't feel a need to read/watch Atlas Shrugged?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I assume that it was understood that since I don't know about her, I don't know about her book so no, you're not the only one :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I have no idea who she is. The only prominent conservative female I know is Ann Coulter.
Ayn Rand was not what would normally be thought of as a conservative. Anyway, I want to contribute to this thread by making fun of Ayn Rand in some way, but I can't even decide where to start.

So to seriously address the question...

Ayn Rand's work is still relevant from a literary standpoint. Her arguments, framing devices, and such have influenced others, even those who vehemently disagree with her. I could come up with some obvious examples, but I'm lazy.

As something that is more directly involved in contemporary politics? No, I don't think Ayn Rand's work is relevant.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ayn Rand was not what would normally be thought of as a conservative.
Ok. I was just taking it from KJ's statement about wondering whether today's conservatives are being influenced by the media promoting her book.