Ayn Rand

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Killer Joe, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Killer Joe Active Member

seriously, does anyone believe her ideas are still relevant in today's society?

I wonder if today's conservatives who are being influenced by media talking heads promoting her book Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead know that she was pro-choice and pretty much hated Reagan?
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I have no idea who she is. The only prominent conservative female I know is Ann Coulter.
  3. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Ann, Ayn, you mean they aren't the same?
    I guess insulating myself from cable news was a good thing.

Am I the only on that didn't feel a need to read/watch Atlas Shrugged?
  4. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Well, I assume that it was understood that since I don't know about her, I don't know about her book so no, you're not the only one :)
  5. turgy22 Nothing Special

Everything I know about Ayn Rand I learned from playing Bioshock.
    Oversoul likes this.
  6. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Ayn Rand was not what would normally be thought of as a conservative. Anyway, I want to contribute to this thread by making fun of Ayn Rand in some way, but I can't even decide where to start.

So to seriously address the question...

Ayn Rand's work is still relevant from a literary standpoint. Her arguments, framing devices, and such have influenced others, even those who vehemently disagree with her. I could come up with some obvious examples, but I'm lazy.

As something that is more directly involved in contemporary politics? No, I don't think Ayn Rand's work is relevant.
  7. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Ok. I was just taking it from KJ's statement about wondering whether today's conservatives are being influenced by the media promoting her book.
  8. Killer Joe Active Member

9. TomB Administrative Assistant

I've heard of her I guess, but I never paid much attention...:p