attack phase

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I just read Wizard2000's rule question and that got me thinking:

Out of curiosity, do you like the way the attack phase is handled in 6th rules (Declare attack, fast effects, declare attackers)

(this part only, forget about the damage dealing stack for now)

Or the old way

Declare attack, if opponent uses fast effects you back up and it's as if you haven't declared an attack yet.

I like the latter.

D

Dune Echo

Yes, I think it's fairly simple. I also like the stack idea.

T

theorgg

I like 6th ed's attack phase, now.

you can force them into a null-attack and still use an effect to do somthing an' prevent a creature from attacking.

that's good.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I was thinking more of when the attack phase applies during your turn. Under the old way, if you declared an attack and your opponent Icy Maniped your only creature out, you could then cast your Ball Lightning and declare a new attack while as now, you're stuck with the attack and have to wait next turn to optimally use the BL.

I don't mind the new way though. Just as it gained some things, it lost some things is all.

C

Chaos Turtle

:mad: I hated the Ball Lightning trick!

I very much prefer the current Combat Phase, stack and all.

M

Mordecai

I like the new attack phase better. It's more straightforward.

You say you're going to attack. Everybody gets a chance to react to that. Makes sense. Then you choose your attackers. Everybody gets a chance to react to that. Make sense. Then defenders declare blockers. Everybody gets to react to that. Makes sense.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I like the new attack ordering, as it was more or less a revision to the old rules from Alpha to 4th. I hate damage stacking though, especially the part about how a creature no longer in play still deals combat damage. :mad:

That's one thing I'd like to see changed back in 7th.

TomB
CPA Member

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I guess it's unanimous (so far) 6 out of 6 definately favor the new attack phase and now that I'm thinking about it, I guess I like it too now. Basically because the old way WAS sort of "hokey" and one of those "rules" things that you shouldn't have to know intimately.

Thanks guys!

A

Apollo

I like the current way.

Apollo

[Edited by Apollo on April 24th, 2000 at 10:15 PM]