Article -- The Death of Art

R

rakso

http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/expandnews.php?Article=4410

Finally got printed...

In my scrub days, I enjoyed just flipping through cards in a box and reading through the literary flavor text, back in the days when Magic had no unifying storyline yet. They make very old cards that survive to this day like The Abyss all the more memorable.

Here are a few oldies:

...There was no trace! Of aught on that illumined face...-Samuel Coleridge, "Phantom" (Hypnotic Specter, Beta)

"O! it is excellent / To have a giant's strength, but it is tyrannous / To use it like a giant." -William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure (Giant Strength, Legends)

"The bird of wonder dies, the maiden phoenix, / Her ashes new-create another heir / As great in admiration as herself." -William Shakespeare, King Henry the Eighth (Firestorm Phoenix, Legends)

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

"Right before typing this paragraph, I stuck my hand into a pile of cards and held up my Beta Timetwister and Demonic Tutor. "

How could I possibly identify with you?
That was uncalled for and beside the point, I know, I just wanted to point it out.
-----------------------------
Anyway, I do agree that art stretching all the way from one side of the card to the other would be an improvement. Maybe if they decide they do want to change it later they'll include that improvement.

The point you made with which I agree the most is that they didn't ask anyone for input, and as they saw, that prompted backlash. Hopefully now that people have suggested possible solutions they might include what lots of people do want and not what they don't. We'll see though

E

EricBess

Personally, I like the new looks. They are much cleaner and easier to read. Should they have chosen silver for artifacts? Well...I think they might have left a brown, rustic feel and perhaps messed with the color of the lands instead, but that's just one opinion.

And I'll tell you why they won't do alternate art. You hinted that maybe it was because they didn't want to pay artists to do additional art. Well, that may be partly true, but I think a larger issue is that players identify more with the art of the card than with the card itself.

As a judge, I've taken a simple, ordinary card and set up a scenario with it to ask potential judge candidates. In every case, everyone has known the card and what it does, but they don't know what it says. I set up scenarios where you need to get specific and most people have no idea. Why? Because they read the card once when the set come out and then they just "know" what the card does. But when things get technical, better read again.

My point is that players don't identify so much with the card name or the card text, but with the art. Emphasizing the rest is good for when a set comes out, but please no more alternate art. BTW, changing art with a new set is different because you don't need to know multiple pictures for each set.

You talk about how the change will ruin the nastalgia of your old cards. Um...Won't they be just that more nastalgic?

And about distracting from the art, correct me if I'm wrong, but most art galleries use frames... Framing the art draws you into the art. Allowing the art to fade as you suggest would, in my opinion, actually detract from the art. Plus, if I understand you correctly, the "shape" of the artwork would effectively be different for each card. That worked for unglued, but I suspect that if you tried that with a serious set, players would complain about that as well.

Anyway, I agree that artifacts look futuristic and think that might have been different. But other than that, I think they did a great job. And just because they didn't ask you specifically doesn't mean that they didn't research the issue. :D

T

train

Wizards... research???...:eek: :p

As for the new look... I don't want to hear it when Phage the untouchable gets bloced by my Borg ship...

Seriously though... I now have to go corner the market on Borg ships...