Art/Writing forums

M

Mazzak

Sure, off topic covers all that, but i was thinking an art forum with higher bandwidth for pictures would be a cool idea, and also a writing forum for those of us literarily inclined... if nothing else, that could dredge up the writer in members and produce more articles for the front page.
Just a suggestion from a sleep deprived, caffeine-driven Mazzak

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure you can separate out "bandwidth" for individual forums.

Personally, I'd like the focus to stay on Magic here.

T

train

Writing should include Magic... otherwise there could be a writing forum within off-topic...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Magic-writing is basically Storyline (or has turned into it) or just articles on the front page. Anything not really an "article" goes into General.

I would probably wait and see how many "off-topic" writers there are before making a separate forum for them.

T

train

I was just thinking of them being put into off-topic... even if not in their own off-topic writing forum...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Off-Topic is definitely where they would go... they don't fit anywhere else in the current forum scheme :)

N

Notepad

I thought we already had a storyline forum...

Wouldn't that be where stories would end up?

And, if somebody is working on an article, they would likely get some input from the issues forum if they were seeking it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That would be only for Magic-related stories. I think the suggestion was for a separate forum for non-Magic related stories.

Ferret

Staff member
I think it's a great idea. It would be a nice place for us to get to know the non-MTG-related artist side of our fellow members.

-Ferret

"I vote yes!"

N

Nightstalkers

what if the D&Ders make a foothold there?!?! Down with the idea!

*thinks*

wait, that is a good idea after all

Ferret

Staff member
My experiences w/ D&D Forums is usually a bunch of kids bragging about their 30th level juggernauts - that they created at 29th level. It might be fun, but there would have to be a lot of activity to justify giving it its own spot on the site...

-Ferret

"Behold! My Hackmaster +12!"

N

Nightstalkers

what is this about the drow coming out of their underground cities?

I've met a few of these so called drow players and found them to actually love to find loopholes and backstab their way through an adventure

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Ferret
My experiences w/ D&D Forums is usually a bunch of kids bragging about their 30th level juggernauts - that they created at 29th level. It might be fun, but there would have to be a lot of activity to justify giving it its own spot on the site...

I tend to think we don't have those kinds of people here and have instead people willing to discuss balanced characters and adventure development.

T

train

I'm all up for character development...

I'm actually writing a program flowchart and pseudocode now for my semester project... It's based on AD&D type play, and character development...

and uses random number generators...:rolleyes:

Ferret

Staff member
Great. If people want to 'discuss' it, open up a forum for it. If the forum does well, we can discuss taking in articles...

-Ferret

"...and I believe the same could go for the rest of your radical ideas..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I hate to say it since it's my idea, but if there hasn't been any discussion yet, I doubt it will appear just because a forum is set aside exclusively for it.

Like I said before, I think a "change" would have to start from the top instead of the other way around.

Ferret

Staff member
Trust me: starting from the bottom works.

Here's an idea I have. Just because you didn't think of it doesn't make it any less valid:

1. Setup the new forums for your new topic ideas (RPG's, other CCG's, Video Games).

2. Write some posts. Someone has to do it first, and it looks like you have quite a lot to say about these topics.

3. Give people a chance to reply and start threads of their own.

4a. If the topics do well and start to outnumber the Magic posts then we talk about changing the front page.

4b. If the topics don't, we move all the threads back to General Gaming and delete the forums.

Fair enough?

-Ferret

"If you want, I can do this..I know how..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Just because you didn't think of it doesn't make it any less valid
Um, what the hell is this? You came across mighty offensive there even if you didn't mean it. I could start something about how you effectively abandoned this place for about two years and now all of a sudden come back and want to defend it in a last stand.... but I have refrained from doing that.

And I DID think of it, but I thought it was needless waste and additional forums because no one posts about those topics now because they think this is an all-Magic site. I asked Ed's opinion about making a separate Magic Online forum because a lot of people were interested and I thought it should be keep clear of Other Games, but he said to wait a bit. Now if he didn't want to make a separate forum that was actually Magic related, what makes you think that he'd think separate non-Magic forums were a good idea?

Trust me, I HAVE thought about it and I know how to do it also, so since I haven't yet that should be a clue right there...