Are there any REAL Retro players around?

R

RetroGamer

Hi--

I am really interested in finding other players who enjoy playing
magic using only cards from the OLDEST sets (I use BETA, ARABIAN NIGHTS, ANTIQUITIES, LEGENDS). Therefore I am looking forward to see your Deck Lists/Ideas containing cards from these sets!

Greets!

W

WickedBoy6

Always nice to meet another player who appreciates the golden age of the game. Alas, I only started when Revised/Fallen Empires released, but am very familiar to the age of Magic before then. In fact, I even developed a format of Magic suited for the "old-school" gamer in all of us:

Type 1.XO - Extending-Originals.

Permitted Sets

Unlimited
Revised
4th Ed.
5th Ed.
Arabian Nights
Antiquities
Lgends
The Dark
Fallen Empires
Ice Age
Homelands
Alliances
Mirage
Visions
Weatherlight

Restricted Cards

Amulet of Quoz
Balance
Berserk
Black Vise
Braingeyser
Bronze Tablet
Channel
Chaos Orb
Contract from Below
Darkpact
Demonic Attorney
Demonic Consultation
Demonic Tutor
Doomsday
Enlightened Tutor
Falling Star
Fastbond
Fork
Hurkyl's Recall
Jeweled Bird
Library of Alexandria
Mana Crypt
Mana Vault
Mind Twist
Mystical Tutor
Necropotence
Rebirth
Recall
Regrowth
Sol Ring
Strip Mine
Tempest Efreet
Timmerian Fiends
Vampiric Tutor
Wheel of Fortune

Banned Cards

Ancestral Recall
Black Lotus
Mox Emerald
Mox Jet
Mox Pearl
Mox Ruby
Mox Sapphire
Time Walk
Timetwister

Make sure that if you do not play for ante, ban all ante-related cards, as well.

L

Lord Bane

Fellow Minions.

It is good to hear there are others who enjoy unsullied and pure religious worship.

I have "worshiped" the sacred game since Antiqities, and would welcome discorse with other like zelots.

R

Razormouse

Why are all the good cards that are normally restricted banned. I think its cause you dont own any of them. In fact I guarentee that is it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Man Razormouse, are you always this combative when first posting to forums?

Perhaps the reason why they're banned is the same reason why they're banned in regular 1.5 format and when Extended was first started...

W

WickedBoy6

Why are all the good cards that are normally restricted banned. I think its cause you dont own any of them. In fact I guarentee that is it.
No, the yare banned because of the complete "lottery" effect those cards give the game. There's a reason why the only format they're even restricted in is Type 1. I don't even own 10% of the cards on the "Restricted" list, and they're not banned. Honestly, Razormouse, I don't even think you own ONE card on any Restricted or Banned list of ANY format. Do you even PLAY Magic, or just goof on people who do?

T

train

I owned half the power nine... but got rid of them because no one played type 1 - now I'm getting them all back...

Best shots - by packs of alpha...

R

RetroGamer

Hey folks!

Thanks a lot for all your interest... but it would be really cool if some of u would start posting their cool old fashioned decks!

Yours---RetroGamer!

W

WickedBoy6

For all I know you linked me to some random DCI player...any PROOF that this is you?

D

Darkstar

Hmm... back to the original subject... what if the deck was almost entirely unlimited with a splash of nights and revised... would that suffice?

And also razormouse... what if I owned all the restricted cards... would it matter? No... and as a matter of a fact I have quite a few of them, I recall u whinning about my deck and the comix stores casual games... AND yes i use them in decks! Muhahaha :p

R

RetroGamer

Hi Darkstar!

Sure, actually I dont care wether the cards are ALPHA, BETA, UL or RV! Just that there should be none or only few cards from sets newer than THE DARK!

I am looking forward to see your deck!

Greetings!

D

Darkstar

Creature:
4 Juzam Djinn
4 Black Knight
4 Hypnotic Specter
4 Sengir Vampire
4 Royal Assassin

Spells (other than critters)
4 Mind Twist
4 Demonic Tutor
2 Bad Moon
4 Dark Ritual
2 Drain Life
4 Animate Dead
4 Paralyze

Land
16 Swamp

Of course I cant build it... I dont have djinns... but i do have everything else... hmm wonder if proxies are allowed.. hehe

R

Razormouse

The complaining of the comix stores was clearly a joke hence the I hate the free booster packs. Dang some of you need a sense of humor. Sorry I don't lack your dull personality.

N

Nightstalkers

We are currently the only crazy players in the downtown Atlanta area...

We are experts in the following techniques:
Donate + Illusions of Grandeur
Grafted Skullcap + Ensnaring bridge + Cursed Scroll
Elf Burnout
and Killer Whale technique

Just to name a few!

havent lost first prise in three months

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Ah, yes. The downtown Atlanta area. I remember it well. I used to put in my two cen.........I mean, fifty-eight dollars worth of craziness in. But, alas, college blows.

RETRO GAMING!!!!!!!!! WHERE SHIMIAN NIGHTSTALKER REIGNS SUPREME!!!!!!!

N....no, I'm serious. STOP LAUGHING!!!!!!

Ransac, cpa trash man

D

Darkstar

Originally posted by Razormouse
The complaining of the comix stores was clearly a joke hence the I hate the free booster packs. Dang some of you need a sense of humor. Sorry I don't lack your dull personality.
Why would you hate free cards? Oh... and believe me... just because I enjoi winning, am terribly conceeded, and dont like mashed potatoes, doesnt me that I have a dull persona. (eases trout out from its concealment.... slap)

(razormouse is out cold)
(the crowd goes wild)

:p