Are Democrats getting help from the Tea party?

turgy22

Nothing Special
I completely disagree with you on financial reform, turgy. Markets work because greed is mitigated by risk. The financial "reform" was "necessary" because the government decided that risk needed to be removed from the equation. With market forces in effect, if you get greedy, you take the chance that someone is going to be able to provide the same service for less. In the stock market and banks, if you get greedy, you risk things taking a turn and losing everything. When the government decides that they are going to bail you out, then the risk is removed from the equation and there is nothing to mitigate the risk. If you truely want to reform the financial market, then get the government and the government "guarentees" out of the equation.
I'm not sure if I'm completely understanding you on this one.

First of all, I am most definitely AGAINST government bailouts of private business. But, to the best of my knowledge, none of the businesses that engaged in the risky behavior leading up to the recession knew they'd be receiving a government bailout if their risks caused them total losses. So, I don't think it's accurate to say that government removed the risk. The risks were taken before the bailouts and the only reason for the bailouts was because (at least according to the experts) without the bailouts, the entire country's financial system would have collapsed. If this is true, I view the bailouts as a necessary evil, but one that needs to be prevented from happening in the future. In order to do that, you must limit the size and scope of these businesses so that if they do fail, they don't take down the whole country with them. I think that's the idea behind the financial reform.

I do see one way in which risk has been removed from the equation with a lot of this financial stuff, though. A lot of the people in charge of these situations receive ridiculous compensation to make these risky decisions. If they succeed, they get huge bonuses. If they fail, they get fired and receive a huge bonus. Where's the incentive to make intelligent decisions that will lead to long-term growth if you get richer faster by playing the high-risk game? Even linking CEO compensation to stock price doesn't work because executives come in, make hasty short-term decisions to boost the stock immediately and get a huge bonus and then bail out at no loss once the numbers come back to earth.

D

DarthFerret

Example (and yes this is just a basic summary of what little I remember from the first economic bail out bill that I printed and read fully), an elimination of an excise tax on imported wooden toy arrows of a specific length, width, and wieght (don't remember the exact dimensions).

Now, I have no idea why this particular section was even in this bail out bill, but my personal conjecture is that to gain the support of some certain person (house, senate?) they put in a tax cut for one of thier friends/relatives overseas on thier product (apparantly wooden toy arrows).

This is just one specific example that I happened to remember (mainly due to the outrageous nature of it). I am sure things like this get attatched to bills all the time, just to get the overall bill passed. I am not very good with a lot of the terms, but I think I have heard this type of stuff mentioned as 'pork'.

D

DarthFerret

Dang you turgy! Stop posting at the same time as me!..(Snicker) :D

turgy22

Nothing Special
I posted well before you on this one. And not really about the same thing. Wrong thread?

But I do like how you brought up the pork-barrel spending, which is one of the BIGGEST problems in our country today. While I was (and still am) of the opinion that health care reform was something desperately needed in this country, the way it went down totally left a bad taste in my mouth. In a number of instances, extra money went to certain states with moderate democrat senators, essentially "buying" their votes for the bill. And as long as it's legal to do things like this, the representatives responsible will keep getting elected, since it benefits the voters from their state (see: Byrd, Robert).

It touches back on something I believe I touched on earlier in this thread. Basically, no one in this country really wants less government, not even the tea partiers. Everyone wants less government that works for other people and more government that helps themselves and their beliefs. States call for more sovereignty while at the same time asking for more federal handouts. Retirees want to cut welfare for the poor, but not sacrifice social security or medicare benefits for the elderly. Conservatives want to decrease spending, but not if it means reducing wasteful military spending. Unions want to raise pay and benefits, but only for union members, and regardless of the effect it has on the ability of a business to retain solvency. Everyone's in it for themselves and uses government for their own gains and the whole system feeds on itself, giving everyone plenty of ammunition to continue complaining about the other guy's misdeeds.

T

train

I think most government non-public goods are the programs that they provide, all of which are excludable in some fashion. Some of them even rivalrous with private goods. (Health Programs)

I can't think of a government program that is open to EVERYONE...

R

rokapoke

I can't think of a government program that is open to EVERYONE...
... taxation?

Yeah, I know that there's a lower limit, beyond which you are tax-exempt, but it's a funny example, yes?

E

EricBess

KJ - anything that could be labeled an "entitlement program" is, IMO, not a public good. Prior to Social Security and Medicare (for example), we still had senior citizens. On average, they were very poor because they didn't plan ahead. So what happened to them? Many of them were in very desperate circumstances, but there were a lot of them that were taken care of by family. Now that the government takes care of them, how often do you think family gets involved? I'm just speculating here, but I would guess very infrequently. As for those with no family, this seems like a good idea for a charity. I wouldn't be surprised to find that charities used to exist to address such a need.

turgy - How do you think we created the housing bubble in the first place? Honestly, this is a topic for its own thread, but I'll just touch on some of the highlights. It has only been relatively recently that people could buy a home with little or no down-payment. That is the removal of risk to a purchaser because worse case scenario, they take a hit to their credit rating. Banks would have never been willing to take such a risk, but they know they are able to bundle and sell. Why is all of that possible? Much of it has to do with the government pushing for rules that allow people to buy homes that realistically can't afford them. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are government sponsored enterprises who were told by the government to purchase a lot of these bad loans, removing the risk for the banks. On top of all of this, interest rates are being maintained artificially low by the federal reserve, which also limits risk to the buyer. When you increase the number of people who are buying houses, the supply doesn't automatically increase to accomodate, so the price increases. Even though it is an artificial increase, it suddenly means that these people who purchased houses become very weathly not through any labor, but simply because they bought a house. This creates an additional perception of safety. Rating agencies, which are government regulated, are compensated inappropriately, giving them an incentive to rate the securities higher than they should be. Meanwhile, the government did make commitments and guarentees to foreign investors, none of which was appropriate, but they effectively told the foreign investors that there was no risk.

So, was there risk or wasn't there? Clearly, if something seems to good to be true, you should be sceptical, so no one in their right mind should assume that something with such a good return is risk free. But when everything went belly-up and the banks started failing because of it, the government stepped in an issued a bail out, demonstrating that the government certainly intended to stand behind the fact that the risk had been removed from the system.

There are plenty of economist that don't agree that there would have been a total financial collapse had a couple of banks been allowed to fail. There certainly would have been a financial crisis, but what we are going through now is one anyway and there are a lot of people predicting that we are setting ourselves up for an even worse financial crisis than we would have had had we just let things play out.

As for wanting less government, turgy, I have to disagree with you again. There is a difference between wanting a federal handout and being willing to take one when it is presented. If the federal government is giving the handouts, you are going to be paying for it whether you get your share or not, so you take your share. That doesn't mean you wouldn't prefer that no handouts were given in the first place.

T

train

I have to side with EB on if the government is handing out the benefits - knowing I am paying my share, I would try to get them. We tried with CFC - and we didn't qualify due to age of vehicle - but would have definitely qualified on mpg.

Fannie Mae/Mac? What do you mean "open to everyone"?
... taxation?
Well - both of those come close - but as rokapoke said, even taxation has its limits and I don't know that it would be considered a public good, even though it is a government program/system. The Fannie/Mac deal still has its own qualifications

True Public Good = Something that is open to everyone.
True public goods are goods that are non-compete and non-exclusive. I don't know of any government programs that are truly non-exclusive and in some instances additionally non-compete.