Aphetto Alchemist

B

BigBlue

Is it just me, or is Aphetto Alchemist just plain wrong?

2 cc for a 1/2 blue creature who untaps artifacts or creatures for free? didn't they learn their lesson with voltaic key?

Sure creatures are vulnerable, but man. Time to bring out the basalt monoliths... And a wizard to boot.

Oh, and for those who've not seen one yet...

Aphetto Alchemist - Onslaught Uncommon - 1U
Creature - Wizard 1/2

T:Untap target Artifact or Creature.

Morph:U

He brews trouble.

T

train

Screw Voltaic key - I get a creature and a Voltaic Key all in one - yeah WOTC drug suppliers!!!!

T

theorgg

The funny thing?

I think him worse than Voltaic Key, because if he is used in Combo Decks like VK was... he can't act as a Mana Sink and keep you from killing yourself.

T

train

Use him with an intruder alarm and squirrel nest on a man-land... - whoa baby!!!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I would guess here that the slight difference is that the Alchemist is subject to summoning sickness while the Key was not...

B

BigBlue

Umm. the Squirrel Nest on a man land would untap itself anyways with I.A.

But it would work if you made the land an artifact somehow and not a creature...

T

train

I was talking about creating a mana loop...

(I.A. already in play, nest on watchtower)Tap grim monolith for 3 use 1 white and a colorless to activate the forbidden watchtower, tap the alchemist to untap the grim, tap the grim, tap the watchtower to make a squirrel, untap alchemit, untap grim, tap grim, and on you go...

wash, rinse, repeat....

B

BigBlue

Ahh. And with the converter elf -- Skyshroud. you convert that colorless to W or R at will...

For whatever.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Or you can Animate Land a Crystal Quarry and get WUBRG a lot...

That's stretching it...

Quite frankly, I don't think Aphetto Alchemist is a big deal... A poor man's Key, maybe, but that's it. Now the Key is too good. So that doesn't mean the Alchemist is bad, just worse. And Type II doesn't seem to have enough interesting mana artifacts.

The creature part is more interesting: we basically now have a blue Seeker of Skybreak - a little weaker but stronger in other areas.

B

BigBlue

Sure, a Poor man's Key...

But, It isn't and won't likely be restricted...

Which makes it very cool to use with your mana vault and grim monolith. Vulnerable yes, but cheap, unrestricted, and low maintainence.