Anyone seen the "Power ninth edition" poster that's been circulating around?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Collectors" came up as a reason in an Ask Wizards this week as why WOTC won't reprint past cards...

Ferret

Staff member
Spiderman said:
"Collectors" came up as a reason in an Ask Wizards this week as why WOTC won't reprint past cards...
This is something I don't get. WotC doesn't get any kickbacks from the secondary market, so why should they care? The only thing that they should care about is how the reprinting of the cards would impact the game - and, in that respect it would only be about how impacts DCI sanctionned events because Casual Players will use any cards they want in any format they want.

-Ferret

"I mean the reprinted Icy Manipulator - TWICE!"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Their reasoning is that Magic is a collectible card game - hence, one of their audiences are collectors besides players. If they reprint cards, then the collectible value goes down.

Ferret

Staff member
I just thought about other collectible cards (baseball, American football, basketball, et nauseum) and I was thinking that maybe they should release some cards based upon famous players and their playing styles. As their records and playing styles change the cards could change. Here's some ideas that would be rather neat:

Michael Long
BU3
Legendary Player
T: Search library for any card and drop in your lap. Place card in your hand when no one is looking.
2/4

Jamie Wakefield
GG4
Legendary Player
Trample
G2 T: Place creature w/ highest converted casting cost in play from your hand. This ability can be played any time you could play a Sorcery
5/5

I'm sure I could come up w/ more, but I'm tired. They would make cool chase rares from special limited edition sets.

-Ferret

"G3 2/3 Legendary Slacker - All creatures can be blocked by any other creatures"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
Their reasoning is that Magic is a collectible card game - hence, one of their audiences are collectors besides players. If they reprint cards, then the collectible value goes down.
That's always the reason I've heard as well. What I wonder, though, is what percentage of their profits really come from collectors. Apparently it's enough that they don't want to alienate them. But with one or two exceptions all of the collectors I've met were much more into playing than collecting and didn't care too much about reprints (some actually liked them). There was one guy who quit when they reprinted some Ice Age cards back in Fifth Edition, but those seem to be few and far between. Oh well...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it's a matter of WOTC getting "profits" off of collectors, they're just one of their audiences. I don't know what percentage of people are collectors though - presumably WOTC has that kind of data. I can't really use people I've met in real life since there are thousands of Magic players and I've met and talked with 20-30.

E

evan d

Does the value of the cards to collectors going down matter? If you are collecting cards, why do you want to sell them.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
I don't think it's a matter of WOTC getting "profits" off of collectors, they're just one of their audiences.
That would be out of character for them. They've demonstrated in the past that they are very profit-driven (as they should be). If they're catering to collectors (which they seem to be), then they must be profiting from them(enough that they've decided to create and maintain a reserved list).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, for some reason I was thinking "profits" as in the secondary buying and selling of cards, not the initial buy when a set first comes out. :rolleyes: So yeah, in that sense, I guess the collector market is fairly sizable for them to pay attention to it...

evan_d: I think one of the points of collecting is that your collection will increase in value as time passes; in that sense, "collector" is a bit of a misnomer - it's more like "investor". You might try to "collect" a set by getting all of the cards but you want that set to rise in value. It's the same principle with most other types of collecting - stamps, baseball cards, comics, beanie babies.... I'm sure there's some people who collect "just to have it", but I honestly don't think no one expects their collection's value to stay at a flat rate.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I guess that when they still have booster boxes and stuff left over after players who would buy them have already done so, collectors might take care of the remainder.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Why would collectors wait until after the players buy? I'm pretty sure everyone would be buying at the same time... :confused:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The way it reads. I do use the word "remainder." But that doesn't mean that there has to be a gap in time between when most of the players buy and when the collectors buy.

Really though, this is just speculation. I'm not sure how many boosters collectors actually buy...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, as I said, I think they all buy "at the same time"; there's no one time when players buy and then collectors buy or vice versa.