Anyone interested in playing the Lord of the Rings LCG?

B

boogiepop

Hey guys, I just wanted to see if any of you would be up to playing through one of the quests from the core box. If you haven't heard of it, it's a coop lcg (living card game) by Fantasy Flight. The core set comes with four premade decks, so we could just pick a deck and start. Also, you can find a surprisingly high-quality tutorial on youtube to give you a basic grasp of the rules and gameplay.

Any takers?

B

boogiepop

Cool. Are you both familiar with it? (In case you're not, here's the link to the tutorials I mentioned before.
)

If you haven't played before, we can do the first quest. Otherwise, we can try and tackle the second or third (each of which is considerably harder.)

Anyway, here are the decks:

Leadership - Aragorn, Gloin and Theodred
Lore - Glorfindel, Beravor and Denethor
Spirit - Eowyn, Dunhere and Eleanor
Tactics - Gimli, Legolas and Thalin

I'll take from whatever is left over. The game can support a fourth person, so I'll leave this open a while in case anyone else wants to join.

B

boogiepop

That's weird. It's working for me. :confused:
That's alright. We can do this the old-fashioned way, heh.

Edit: Wow, I post the link and it automatically does the same thing. I guess you can just go and youtube and search "lotr lcg tutorial." It's the one by Fantasy Flight Studios.

Let me know if you have any difficulties finding it.

R

rokapoke

I'm in.

I like the idea of the "cooperative" aspect rather than competition with the other players.

B

boogiepop

Awesome. That makes four.

Here are few links

For playing online. (I haven't been able to get this to work myself.)
ogc-daily.blogspot.com/2012/02/lotr-lcg-for-pc.html

Card database.
http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/lotr/lord-of-the-rings-card-spoiler

Rulebook as a pdf.
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/lotr-lcg/LOTR Rules.pdf

I'll get the decklists. If you'd like, you can each be responsible for just our own decks and I can handle the encounter deck. (Basically, the one that tells us what baddies get drawn. It gives no edge to be the one drawing from it.)

EDIT: Found the decklists. I'll just need to check them over to make sure they're correct.

Leadership

#1 Aragorn x1
#2 Théodred x1
#3 Glóin x1

#13 Guard of the Citadel x3
#14 Faramir x2
#15 Son of Arnor x2
#16 Snowborn Scount x3
#17 Silverlode Archer x2
#18 Longbeard Orc Slayer x2
#19 Brok Ironfist x1
#20 Ever Vigilant x2
#21 Common Cause x2
#22 For Gondor! x2
#23 Sneak Attack x2
#24 Valiant Sacrifice x2
#25 Grim Resolve x1
#26 Steward of Gondor x2
#27 Celebrían’s Stone x1
#73 Gandalf x1

Tactics

#4 Gimli x1
#5 Legolas x1
#6 Thalin x1

#28 Veteran Axehand x3
#29 Gondorian Spearman x3
#30 Horseback Archer x2
#31 Beorn x1
#32 Blade Mastery x3
#33 Rain of Arrows x2
#34 Feint x2
#35 Quick Strike x2
#36 Thicket of Spears x2
#37 Swift Strike x1
#38 Stand Together x1
#39 Blade of Gondor x2
#40 Citadel Plate x2
#41 Dwarven Axe x2
#42 Horn of Gondor x1
#73 Gandalf x1

Spirit

#7 Éowyn x1
#8 Eleanor x1
#9 Dúnhere x1

#43 Wandering Took x2
#44 Lórien Guide x3
#45 Northern Tracker x2
#46 The Galadhrim’s Greeting x2
#47 Strength of Will x2
#48 Hasty Stroke x2
#49 Will of the West x2
#50 A Test of Will x2
#51 Stand and Fight x3
#52 A Light in the Dark x2
#53 Dwarven Tomb x1
#54 Fortune or Fate x1
#55 The Favor of the Lady x2
#56 Power in the Earth x2
#57 Unexpected Courage x1
#73 Gandalf x1

Lore

#10 Denethor x1
#11 Glorfindel x1
#12 Beravor x1

#58 Daughter of the Nimrodel x3
#59 Erebor Hammersmith x2
#60 Henamarth Riversong x1
#61 Miner of the Iron Hills x2
#62 Gléowine x2
#63 Lore of Imlaris x3
#64 Lorien’s Weath x2
#65 Radaghast’s Cunning x2
#66 Secret Paths x2
#67 Gandalf’s Search x2
#68 Beorn’s Hospitality x1
#69 Forest Snare x2
#70 Protector of Lorien x2
#71 Dark Knowledge x1
#72 Self-Preservation x2
#73 Gandalf x1

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, youtube is blocked from work so I'll just read the rule pdf and you can help me along when I have questions :)

If we're picking decks, I'd like Tactics as Gimli's a dwarf and Thalin sounds like a dwarven name (I know Gloin's a dwarf too in the Leadership, but that sounds too responsible :) )

turgy22

Nothing Special
I'll take the Spirit deck.

It's funny. I just finished reading the LotR and I don't recognize half of those names. Maybe I should have read the appendices. Really, what the heck is a "Gandalf"? I don't remember that being mentioned in the book.

B

boogiepop

Alrighty, it seems we're good to go. I'll set everything up tonight (which is probably tomorrow morning for your guys.)
We all take our turns together, so I'll just post each phase as they come. With a few upfront explanations, it should help make things clearer.

@ Spidey - Ask away! :)
@ Turgy - Hmm, I took you seriously up until the Gandalf remark. But yeah, they pulled a few of them out of their backends. I was kind of disappointed Eleanor isn't Elanor, Sam Gamgee's eldest daughter.

Oh, and I forgot that we should determine turn order. EDIT: Nevermind, I cut you each a card.

Annnd... If you can set up your 30 card decks yourselves (I obviously don't know what program you do it with MtG,) draw yourselves 6 cards. If they don't seem interesting enough, feel free to mulligan but do so only once.
I can always just draw your cards for you if need be. It --once again-- makes little difference in this game.

B

boogiepop

I started a new thread and am setting things up now. I'll assume you guys would like to do the beginners' quest since it eases you into the game nicely, despite being a bit of a cakewalk. (It might be extremely easy with 4 players... I don't know. I've never tried before.)

If you'd rather do a harder one, just say so and I'll change it.

R

rokapoke

I definitely vote for the easy one...

Also, I would suggest making a greater difference between the text colors of purple and red. I don't see a significant difference between them in your first post.

R

rokapoke

My deck is set up and I'm ready to go.

So, boogiepop, have you played this before? I guarantee you we'll all need a lot of guidance on how this works.

B

boogiepop

Yeah, I'm familiar with the core set at least. All players take each phase of the game together which helps.

The game starts off with players drawing their starting hands of 6 cards, so if you'd like to do that now, go right ahead (with one free mulligan.) Allies and attachments are nice to get out early (and Gandalf is always nice.)

turgy22

Nothing Special
I'm ready too and have already drawn my six cards. Are we all playing with our hands revealed? Also, I believe the rules say we draw a card to start the turn. Do we do that first? Finally, as the "First Player" doesn't boogiepop go first? Trying to play simultaneously on the forum might get a bit confusing.

B

boogiepop

Yes, we do all draw a card at the beginning of our turn. We play our "permanents" in turn order though, so I'm not worried about us getting held up. If someone didn't draw their card, they could do it as they begin that phase.

I guess I should get the ball rolling in the other thread.