Any other vegetarians on here?

S

Sammy Dead-O

I really didn't mean for this to turn into a debate or a forum for criticism, primarily because it's a road most vegetarians have been down a thousand times. You bring it up, someone gets offended for some reason, maybe the f-word gets thrown in, and we're right where we started. Yes, I know many of you like meat; yes, I know you don't think vegetarianism can make a difference; yes, I know you think it's stupid.

To everyone who's been kind enough to engage in rational discussion: Thanks.

As a summary of my moral view of vegetarianism, I'll just mention that total compassion is perhaps the highest of ideals for me, and so vegetarianism naturally comes from that. I know I have faults; I know I'm not compassionate all the time; but that doesn't stop me from trying in this area.

For those who subscribe to some form of a "survival of the fittest" view of meat-eating: If this is truly your path to ethics, then so be it. May Nietzsche guide you well in your decision-making. In truth, though, I think most of us base morality on much more than, "Hey, it's here, let's get pleasure out of it."

Beyond what animals are here for, it should be pointed out that meat industries are pretty cruel. The argument against vegetarianism must go deeper than the idea that animals meet our "needs." I actually have a great deal of respect for hunting and fishing as genuine means of survival; most people don't do this, however, when factory-farmed meat is readily available.

On some random questions that have come up:

Vegetarianism can include eating eggs and dairy products. This is commonly called ovo-lacto-vegetarianism. Complete avoidance of foods originating with animals is usually called veganism. I'm still ovo-lacto- right now, and I'm phasing out those areas gradually. I, too, love chocolate milk, but chocolate soy or rice milk makes a good substitute. And eggs--they're everywhere. I ate an Oatmeal Creme Pie today...eggs. It's hard, but I'm trying.

On vegetables genetically engineered with animal DNA: A friend of mine brought this up recently. I'm not sure what to think; I'd have to do some research into the treatment of the animals involved. I'm not really scared off by something "unnatural." I just want it to be as pain-free as possible.

Yup, there's a difference in fake meat and a steak. Steak is delicious. I choose not to eat it, even though I used to. I probably like tofu and other meat substitutes just as much.

I'm glad to know the term "pulses" now, and Baltis sound delicious. Maybe I can track one down sometime.

It is possible to get all necessary nutrients without consuming any products with animal sources. Variety is key. If you have to, you can take a vitamin supplement to get something like vitamin B12, but it's also found in nutritional yeast. Vitamin D is the other main vitamin concern for most people, and you get that from spending time in the sun. Meat isn't necessary, even if we've been conditioned to think it is.

And now, a question for non-American CPAers: Are the (outdated) four food groups (bread/cereal, fruit/vegetables, meat/protein, dairy) taught to children in your countries?

Thanks for reading this, especially if you waded through all of it.

S

Sidar Jabari

I'm afraid, yes, the "traditional" four food groups are taught still in Brittish schools. Luckily, they have started to mention that you can get protein from beans and our most famous celebrity chef and in-an-indie-band mockney Geeza Jamie Oliver has cooked several vegetarian dishes on his TV show. And of course, there will be no meat left in England by the end of the month, so people are going to have to adapt (Or pay ludicrously high prices for thier food).

D

Daggertooth

Sadly, no treatment of animals can be for sure pain free. Especialy when it comes to genetic engeneering. The cells work best when alive. so animals are cultured in captivity. Although the researchers try to keep the animals comfortable, You can't. It is impossibe to keep a wild animal in captivity and expect it's life to be pain free. especialy if that animal is at the apex of expirimentation. But I guess thats progress. Without genetic engeneering we wouldn't have frost resistant potatoes or pesticidic corn not to mention bloodtype pumping mice (if they finished that).

Now here's a question to you. Do you avoid eating all animals, or just those with higher mental capasity? Basicaly do you eat stuff like molusks or insects or any other "lower" animal spieces. Or do you not even consider that meat? Ex shrimp, octopus, squid, snail (yuck), worms ;), grasshoppers ;), ants ;).

Daggertooth

C

Cateran Emperor

I'm with nodnarb, I'm hungry now...

And thar be potatoes in the medieval age says I ye scurvy dog! :D

T

theorgg

No wonder you were so damn skinny, Dead-man! ;)

Personally, I don't eat Vegetarian stuff much. I do like meat. If I was english, I'd probably be swearing off the stuff, too.

Then again, major-protene beans like soy and tofu give me gass. BAD. TRUST ME!

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

theorgg: Don't worry, I will. :)

I'm not a vegetarian, but I do respect them. Chaos Turtle pretty much covered most of it, so I won't repeat much, but I do have one question...

You people don't eat veal do you???
Veal is Bad Thing (TM)*.

DÛke: What ever happened to that thread?? I tried searching for it, but nothing came up.

* Woohoo! I finally used that expression!

S

Sammy Dead-O

...I've always been skinny, even before I went vegetarian. You should see my high school tennis pictures. No, wait...you don't want to see me in Umbros.

Daggertooth: You're probably right about the state of animals in captivity. It's sad, really. As for your question, I try to avoid eating any animals with a mental capacity at all. If there's nerve tissue or evidence of sentience/feeling (let alone thinking), I stay away. In the animal kingdom, the only gray area I really see would be sponges. I don't know that I'd ever have the opportunity to eat one, anyway, though. I think everything else, from mollusks and hydrae and ants on up, probably has some awareness that I want to respect.

D

Daggertooth

I actualy didn't know people ate sponges. I have a hard time respecting some animals. Espesicaly small pests such as Mosquitoes, deer flys, and Mice.

Exactly what is veal? isn't it like a baby deer or somethin?

Sammy, Your from England right? well, thats a good thing if you want to stay away from G.E. foods. Over here cotton is 45% G.E., soybean is 38%, and corn is 25%. But thats not nessisarily from animal DNA. And the farmers arn't required to say wether its altered or not.

I personaly find (almost) nothing wrong with G.E. and hope to enter that field one day.

Daggertooth

S

Sammy Dead-O

...I don't think people eat sponges. That's why I figured I'd never get the chance to eat one.:)

Veal is calf meat. The animals are made to move as little as possible during their lives so the meat stays tender. There's a picture of a veal farm here:

http://www.peta-online.org/image/veg/c2.jpg

...and a veal calf:

http://www.peta-online.org/image/veg/c4.jpg

It's not...nice...at all.

And actually, I live in the U.S. (Georgia). That's incredible about the GE food here. Can you direct me to places I can find out a bit more about this?

D

Daggertooth

Oops, It's Sidar that lives in england. My mistake.

I'm sure if you just did a search on GE foods you'll find something. It is a big deal with trades with other countrys (expecialy europe) and should be reletivly easy to find. I Knew the stats cause I just finished covering that in my biology class. It's an interesting topic. I might look it up more in depth just for fun.

Veal: wow, talk about torture. You might as well grow them like Humans were grown on the matrix. Few things disgust me, and I think that was one of them.

Daggertooth