Any cards I can replace here to improve? (Megrim-Rack-Underworld deck)

V

vh1atomicpunk

4 Badlands
2 Wastelands
1 City of Brass
1 Glacial Chasm
9 Swamp

1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Jet
4 Megrim
4 Underworld Dreams
4 The Rack
4 Anvil of Bogarden
1 Chains of Mephistopheles
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Blind With Anger
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
4 Diabolic Edict
4 Skull Fracture
4 Blackmail
4 Dark Ritual
1 Black Lotus
2 Chainer's Edict
1 Helm of Obedience

The point here is to make my opponent discard early in the game (the Blackmails and Skull Fractures) to buy me some time to get out and Anvil w/Underworld or Megrim. The Rack is nice because of the discarding, and especially effective when Chains is out. The Wheel of Fortune can easily deal 14+ damage if played properly. I put in the Helm and Blind With Anger in to try to reverse those irritating decks that can play creatures from the graveyard (Darksteel Collossus, anyone?) and of course the Diabolic Edicts so that I don't get railed by fast creatures.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

P.S. - If you're wondering, I don't own these cards, but I play around with a database of magic cards and play friends with proxy decks.

J

jorael

If can support more red with your mana-base I would use Grab the Reigns instead of Blind with Anger. With the entwine cost you can take out 2 creatures. It is more expensive to cast, but flinging a Darksteel Colossus against an opponent's head is good times!

L

Limited

I agree. Grab the Reins is way better than Blind with Anger.

I think the Blackmail should be replaced with Duress, which is more disrupting and a better first turn play.

And if you change Wheel of Fortune to Wheel and Deal, and Blind With Anger to a Control Magic, there's no need to splash red. Makes the manabase more stable.

*just wondering* What deck can play a Darksteel Colossus from the graveyard?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, if you can proxy in whatever you want, and want to use Megrim (which isn't all that great of a card when you and your opponents have so much speed at your disposal, but this is casual anyway), I'd heavily alter the deck and add blue because blue is broken. If you want to make the deck more evil like that, let me know. I'm sure we can figure out something.

On the other hand, if you'd like to leave it black and red, I'd still advise that some of the following might improve things...

Replace some of the lands (not the Badlands) with Bloodstained Mires.

Blind With Anger isn't very good. I'm not even sure why you're splashing red for this thing anyway. Wheel of Fortune is the only card that makes red even close to worthwhile here.

Skull Fracture and Blackmail are second rate (if that). Duress (or even Cabal Therapy if you ran some creatures) could replace either. Hymn to Tourach and even Mind Twist (careful with Mind Twist though, as it requires an investment of mana and only pays off when used properly) might also be good cards for these slots.

Helm of Obedience is probably too high risk, unless it always turns up a Darksteel Colossus or other huge creature. Against a lot of decks, it simply acts as a millstone of sorts.

Adding Necropotence and/or Yawgmoth's Bargain would provide you with a good card-drawing engine.

Memory Jar is very good with Megrim.

Yawgmoth's Will may or may not be right for your deck.

You might be able to squeeze in some Hypnotic Specters.

Lightning Bolts kill small or medium creatures and can also finish off opponents.

I'd have to test the deck to know for sure, but it looks like you might want more Chains (of Mephistopheles).

I'd recommend going with black and blue though.

It opens up more options for you, like...

Tinker, Urza's Guilt, Recoil, Windfall, Time Walk, Ancestral Recall, Brainstorm, Mana Leak, Force of Will, etc.

F

Force of Will Smith

if you're running 4 underworld dreams theres no reason not to run 2-3 teferi's puzzle box. As both of them are out.. they dont really have many options..

another sick card to run would be breathstealer's crypt. you get to see their every draw, it has ridiculous synergy with megrim and puzzle box..

say they have 4 cards at the beginning of their turn... you have breathstealers a puzzle box, and a megrim..

they take 4 cards and put them on the bottom.. then draw 4 cards.. if any of them are creatures they can keep them for 4 life a pop.. or if they choose not to.. they take 2 damage..
plus puzzle box helps you get out more puzzle boxes and more underworld dreams..

Here's my underworld dreams deck.. doesnt really run any moxen or anything but im sure it could.. also lands could be replaced with duals.

Lands:
4 Island
4 Underground River
2 Salt Marsh
10 Swamp

Gold:
4 Breathstealer's Crypt (anti creature)
3 Urza's Guilt (potentially LOTS of dmg with either megrim or underworld)
2 Vile Consumption

Artifacts:
3 Teferi's Puzzle Box (anti counter/ fetch multiple boxes/dreams)
2 Ensnaring Bridge
2 Anvil of Bogardan
2 Cursed Totem (anti Birds,tims,ravager)

Black:
4 Dark Ritual
4 Blackmail
4 Underworld Dreams
3 Megrim (not usually used, its actually naturalize/disenchant/counter bait)
3 Nether Spirit (counterdecks/fish)
2 Persecute (monocolor hate)
2 Spreading Plague (tribal hate)

i think in type 1 dark rit is restricted so maybe a lotus in place of one, and maybe a mox or 2 in its place.. ive almost been meaning to add pithing needle to this.. amazing t1 card..

name strip mine... no recurring land kill
name ravager... no disciple kill
name mishras factory/blinkmoth nexus... disable 4 attackers from their deck.