Answers to Indestructible...

N

NorrYtt

GG

It's usually pronouced "gee gee" for Good Game, signalling the end of the game with a concession from whoever uttered GG. As in...

Good Game GG
Sorcery (Rare)
As an additional cost to play Good Game, remove the top 1000 cards of your library from the game and tear Good Game in half.
You win the game.

Sometimes, especially on Magic Online, rude players will use "gg" as a ruse to connive an opponent into a potentially bad play, such as swinging with everyone into an opponent at 1 just to lose to Captain's Manuever.

It is also bad sportsmanship to declare "gg" to imply "please concede, I am clearly the winner".

In short, you should only declare "gg" if you are indeed conceding the game in a sportsmanlike fashion, or as an after match prompt for a handshake when you are the winner.

"topdeck nothin mise well say gg amiright?"

O

orgg

NorrYtt, I wish I had read your post about a week earlier.

On MOL, I had a Goblin Derigible that I thought was flying in for the win. The opponent said "GG." when he passed the turn... and I got careless and tapped all of my swamps. He was at one. I drew a Disciple of the Vault. I had two spellbombs on the board. I swing, he shatters. If I had not tapped both of my swamps, I could've sac'd a bomb with the Vaultie on the table and killed 'em. He threw me off.

I was mad at myself for not leaving colored mana untapped, personally.

He then killed me the next turn. :(

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't see why people say "good game" when they win. I've done it afew times, but usually because the game was close and I really thought it was a good one. No point in saying "good game" when your opponent doesn't think so...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's more manners then, more subtly acknowledging that the game was (hopefully) civil in general, not necessarily a good game play-wise for one person.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, still seems like something people would consider rude if they were all ticked off at having lost when they really think they should not have, or having lost when they stood no chance, then the opponent is like "good game." Easy for you to say, you won...

I've never actually felt this way in Magic. Every time I remember an opponent saying "good game" to me, I usually thought it was a good game. It hasn't happened that much though. Maybe that's because people tend to say it more in tournaments, and I've played a lot more casual than tournaments...

R

Rooser

I agree that in certain situations, the winning player saying "good game" as a request for a handshake can feel a little irksome, (Like when I was mana-screwed or whatever), but I also accept it as just a standard etiquette and so I don't let it bother me.