Another retail seller gone

W

Wizard2000

Just wanted to let you know I have given up on the retail Magic sales. Interest in this new set is lower than I could ever have imagined. Some rares sell for $.40 each, and even then are nearly impossible to get rid of. Those others of you here that do this I really hope you can make it through this dip in the sales and interest. If a good set doesn't come out soon I don't know what will happen.

C

ChasDen

Sorry to hear your calling it quits. I do disagree however with your opinion of the current set. We have only listed 40 auctions for the new cards since they came out. Not because they are not selling, because they are selling faster than I can get them in. There will always be a few “Wasted” rare cards, but I have yet to sell one for less than a buck.

W

Wizard2000

You're having better luck than me, but you're also more widely known than I am :)

As a reference I can't give away Aether Barrier. Selling 4 for $2.00 I rarely get any bids. After you've done this a few times you've paid off your money in eBay fees. I tried doing some stuff on MTGNews auctions but didn't have much luck there. They just don't have the traffic that eBay has. I will probably still do some selling but it won't be of new cards. I will mostly pick up the huge lots of cards on eBay and make sets, rare sets, etc out of them and sell those to help pay for my own collection. I have a job now so I'm not too worried about it all :)

C

ChasDen

If you plan on buying large sets off auctions and busting them up, a little advice: BE CAREFULL. Although most adds are not “lies” they are often misleading. As a rule we think of it this way:

If the lot is being sold by a dealer or someone who sells a lot of singles, you are going to get the rare cards that are not getting enough by themselves so the are bundled up in large sets just to move cards.

If the lot is from the guy “selling my whole collection because …” do a seller search and see if he has sold any “big dollar” or “power” cards in the last 60 days. If so all you are getting is the junk left over (same as above).

We did what you are considering and found it to be a lot more work than it actually netted, and then you also take the risk of it not even getting anything.

Most sellers who are truly selling large sets to get out will often set a reserve to protect their investment. They often set it too high and then it often will not sell for what they asked. When the auction ends without a winner, email them directly and see if they will work out a deal. The last time we did that, we got a 7000+ card collection for $450 including postage. After fees, the cards we did sell put $495 in our pocket, about 250 or so above average uncommon and rare cards for my personal collection, and 2 cards that I still have never figured out what they are.

W

Wizard2000

Good advice there. I understand where you are coming from. I picked up 572 Urza Block Rares for $0.55 each from some guy on eBay. I did some looking and found that this was all he had sold in the past month so I figure it will be ok. At the worst I can just resell them. Hopefully I can sell them for about $0.75 to $1.00 each average and make a nice chunk o cash for my own collection! :)

I bought out someone's personal collection recently also. I got most of a listing of the rares and from what I see I could probably break it up and resell the cards for about 50% more than what I paid. I will most likely keep a lot of them though so I will see what I wind up with in the end.

Thanks for the advice!