Another pile of 7th pics...also in Spanish once again...

L

Lotus Mox

I fear that I'll get bashed for this but I like many of Drew Tucker's drawings.
And I'm pretty sure that if you go to an artistic academy they'd say Drew Tucker's work is better than that of many other "artists".
I mean look at many of the newer magic pics, there are only very few outstanding artists: rk post or Rebecca Guay among some others, the other pictures are mostly plain old boring pics of Kavu #546723 or Gerrard in his pose #316782637 and really not outstanding in any way, OK they are drawn perfectly but they really have no artistic feel overall.
Also I think that they could simplify the art a bit, many of the new cards are just overloaded with details without a focus on anything in the picture.

This is of course just MY opinion which has nearly nothing to do with this thread, and 7E doesn't look groundbreaking in the artwork dept, though a bit better than Invasion or Planeshift.

my 2 cents

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't want to turn this into a debate about whether a certain artist draws better than anyone else (that can be another thread); obviously, it's a matter of opinion.

But for me, Drew Tucker's depiction of people is very abstract and ill-defined; they look like I'm viewing them through a "fog" where the image has already "bled" or faded into the medium. And to me, since it's a person and I can't see it clearly (with no reason not to), that's bad.

But hey, there's old threads in the Voting or Classic forum about favorite and hated artists. I like the Foglio's art; others don't <shrug>

;)

B

Baskil

Originally posted by Istanbul
Hetemti = Grouchy Smurf. :)

Seriously though, I think credit should be given where it's due. I'd give my left nut to be as talented as half those artists are.
I know this doesn't take much away from the artists, but I learned a little secret at the Planeshift Prerelease. Most of the artwork that you see today is done in Photoshop. I was told (by a certain artist) that they do the pencil drawing, scan it in and color it. Examples of this style are:

Tangle Wire
Coffin Puppets
Questing Pheldagriff
Yawgmoth's Agenda
Raging Kavu
and many more

Oh, and there's no way that one pic is Elvish Champion. It's probably either Vitalize or Titania's Boon

Row 1, Column 2 is probably either Abyssal Horror or Entropic Specter (eech)

And I'm pretty sure Row 6 Column 1 is Avenging Angel, since Matthew Wilson did the art on the original also.

D

Duster

could Row 5, Col 4 maybe be artwork based around mageta? I'm not saying it IS him, but check out his armor and stuff.

P

Purple_jester

No way, I mean, look at... um... ah... Hey, yeah. Maybe it's the new artwork for Wrath of God!

No Mageta=God insinuations there. ;)

T

theorgg

DUDE!

LOOK AT MY EYES!

they are the Fremen Blue-within-blue!

I'm addicted to malange! I'm a Spice Addict!

hopefully I'm a common. that would ROCK HARD!

sonuvabeeyich! I"m back in TII!

H

Hetemti

Actually, that takes alot away from the artists.
Those that actually work hard to make art (like Donato Giancolla and D. Alaxander Gregory) are being compared to slap-shod Photoshop "Lookie! I can use a mouse!" comic book cartoonists. I'd take one Drew Tucker over a dozen cartoons like R. Kavu, the Phedd', Coffin Pups, and friends.

The only art that is supposed to have black outlines are the ones like Quinton Hoover's old work, which was penned and watercolored.

I used to enjoy the card art. Now, usually I dismiss them as card pictures. Unfortuantly, the Masses aren't wise to the difference.

S

SwingMage

Does anyone know which artists use/dont use the computer?

and also, donato giancola rules! :)