Another opinion on Magic Online

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
From what dragonstudios' website says, it's NOT dead, just on hiatus, but that's a bit off the track...

I agree that for what Magic Online seems to promise, paying for it doesn't seem like that bad of a deal. And if you could trade, that would be better.

On the other hand, why CAN'T you upload a deck yourself? You can do it in Apprentice and no one really questions whether you have the actual cards or if you're cheating (after all, it's fairly obvious). Plus, if it really interprets the rules for you (which is a heck of a lot better than Apprentice), having your own deck shouldn't matter.

I'm still iffy about BigBlue's statement in the thread in the General forum that the card pool is only going to be Standard.

R

rkoelsch

My understanding of the program is that you can select cards or upload decks within their card list you just can't use them for league or sanctioned play which would be fine. I can also understand why they aren't including older cards. can you imagine the programming that would go into Vesuvan Doppleganger? They could probably introduce older cards with Oracle text changes. They probably will if pressured enough. But if the program doesn't sell well because of that they will probably scarp it like the original.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
With some of the older "problem child" cards it might prove to be a bit more difficult, but it's too bad if that means all of the others are knocked out as well... :(

Z

Zadok001

I would really like it to include all sets... Limiting it to Standard may make it easier for WotC to control the rules, etc, but damnit, I wanna play Extended! :) Gives me a good reason to keep toying with Carpe Noctem!

B

BigBlue

Originally posted by rkoelsch
My understanding of the program is that you can select cards or upload decks within their card list you just can't use them for league or sanctioned play which would be fine. I can also understand why they aren't including older cards. can you imagine the programming that would go into Vesuvan Doppleganger? They could probably introduce older cards with Oracle text changes. They probably will if pressured enough. But if the program doesn't sell well because of that they will probably scarp it like the original.
This is not the case. If you somehow have a deck with cards you don't "own" it won't even let you start the game, no matter what room you are in. Also it checks your deck vs the Format for the game and Extended/Type 1 are not in the options for deck format.

I

Istanbul

Of course, let's all remember that this is ALPHA testing.

Not even beta testing.

I'm not worried yet. :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Who says it's alpha-testing again? All I remember is BigBlue saying he was an alpha-tester...

And it twas he who said the card pool was going to be Type II...

R

rkoelsch

Well that is going to make a difference. The pricing of the virtual packs and starters is going to be very important. I really think they should include coupons in Real Life product for the virtual product.