Another Bad Creation

Dis any good?

• Wow! Goes in any deck with blue!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not bad, fits in lots of sideboards.

• Eh. I *might* take it in draft...after a while.

• Good lord, man. What's WRONG with you?

• Total voters
I

Istanbul

Obfuscate U
Instant
Choose a permanent. That permanent can't be targeted by spells or abilities until end of turn.
Draw a card.

LD suddenly gets kicked in the butt. Buyback spells like Capsize are countered. That creature you needed to attack with? Opposition can't touch it.

Thoughts?

F

FoundationOfRancor

Should be 2U.

If you cut the cantrip, U is probablly ok.

I

Istanbul

Would ANYONE devote a slot to this at three mana? I sure wouldn't...

J

Jake74

one mana is too little...
it basically says:
counter spell that targets a permanent, draw a card. (it could even counter a rage!)
plus it can't be targeted for the rest of the turn... wow!
two mana even seems too little... drop the draw a card and make it 1U...

I

Istanbul

Obfuscate is fair at 1U.

Here's my reasoning:

Alexi's Cloak is 1U.
Obfuscate is 1U.

Alexi's Cloak can be played as an instant.
Obfuscate is played as an instant.

Alexi's Cloak is permanent.
Obfuscate lasts for one turn.

Alexi's Cloak protects creatures.
Obfuscate protects anything.

So, they're pretty much equal. Now then, consider all those people who played Alexi's Cloak. Yeah. That's precisely my point. So we make it a little better by having it replace itself.

J

Jake74

it does look ok at 1U, although it is better than Alexi's Cloak w/o the cantrip... Targeting anything can make a HUGE difference... playtesting will tell, leave it 1U cantrip...

C

Cateran Emperor

Of course it's better than Alexi's Cloak. Think about it: who uses Alexi's Cloak? Exactly. Making it better than something is only problematic when the original card was already powerful.

1U is good the way it stands.

F

FoundationOfRancor

I assume that the 1U cc consideration is without the cantrip. If Im right, then its fine.

F

fuzzy510

After seeing Isty's reasoning, I can understand why 1U is the right CC.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Ok, with the cantrip its 100% better than confound, and confound wasnt a bad card by any means. Cut the cantrip, or raise the cc to UU, or 2U.

I

Istanbul

It's better than Confound, in that it'll protect any one permanent, instead of just creatures.

But you know what? I don't see people playing Confound. Seriously. I just don't see it happening in general; I don't remember the last time I saw Confound in a decklist that wasn't drafted.

So it's better than Confound; that's the POINT.

F

FoundationOfRancor

I thought the "POINT" was to make a balanced card. No one plays with Confound because it's limited to creatures. If you change that and not the cc or the cantrip, its too good and goes into every deck that has blue.

I suggest just cutting the cantrip. Personally, I like and play with confound alot in my blue beatdown deck.

I

Istanbul

I believe that this *is* a balanced card.
I believe that the power curve on Confound is just a little bit low. Not much...just a bit.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Istanbul, that card would never get printed. It would go in every deck with blue, period. Its just too good with the cantrip.

I

Istanbul

Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion. Even if it doesn't coincide with mine (and is therefore wrong). :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's okay at 1U, but looking at past cards, are there ANY cantrips that cost less than three? I seem to remember anything that draws a card gets 2 colorless immediately added (Tarpan, Mind Ravel, whatever the white healing one is, for example).

J

Jake74

Originally posted by Spiderman
I think it's okay at 1U, but looking at past cards, are there ANY cantrips that cost less than three? I seem to remember anything that draws a card gets 2 colorless immediately added (Tarpan, Mind Ravel, whatever the white healing one is, for example).
I've been noticing a bunch of worthless ones in Invasion Block... two mana, sucky spell, draw a card... sorry no names, but I'm at work now... the one that comes to mind is Ice(Fire/Ice).. but that is different anyway... (also Teferi's response-maybe the only useful one)

I

Istanbul

Okay, lemme whip out Invasion block...

Restrain - 2W - Suckburger
Reviving Dose - 2W - Suckburger
Winnow - 1W - Has potential
Crystal Spray - 2U - Suckburger
Disrupt - U - Not bad...
Exclude - 2U - Some Good!
Manipulate Fate - 1U - Bo-ring...
Repulse - 2U - Tolerable
Sway of Illusion - 1U - Playable.
Teferi's Response - 1U - Draw two cards for 1U? Who CARES what else it does?
Traveler's Cloak - 2U - Underrated
Annihilate - 3BB - Overcosted
Cremate - B - Useful!
Dredge - B - Cremate is better.
Recover - 2B - Tolerable.
Scavenged Weapon - 2B - Boring
Tainted Well - 2B - Yawn...
Chaotic Strike - 1R - Useless!
Stun - 1R - Marginally useful
Turf Wound - 2R - Eh.
Zap - 2R - God, that sucks!
Bind - 1G - Underrated!
Kavu Climber - 3GG - Mediocre.
Riptide Crab - 1WU - Too small.
Tsabo's Web - 2 - Good...for another two months.

Aura Blast - 1W - Some good!
Hobble - 2W - Underrated!
Lashknife Barrier - 2W - WAY underrated.
Confound - 1U - Not bad...
Sisay's Ingenuity - U - Boring.
Slay - 2B - Decent sideboard material...
Implode - 4R - Useless.
Skyshroud Blessing - 1G - Boring...

False Dawn - 1W - Don't make me laugh
Shimmering Mirage - 1U - Yawn...
Last Caress - 2B - Bleah...
Urborg Uprising - 4B - Ugh.
Smash - 2R - Not *too* bad...
Tranquil Path - 4G - Overcosted.

As you can see, most cantrips suck. I don't want MY cantrip to suck.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Yes, most of the cantrips do suck, and yes, 2 colorless mana for a card-draw is too good. But Istanbul's card is playable on its own...without the cantrip, it would find its way into alot of decks. With the cantrip, its just to good (For the cost) and goes into EVERY deck with blue.

Now, if it was UU, that's a different story...