Animal Rights

How do you stand on this issue?

• How can anyone torture something for entertainment?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Who cares? It's just a mindless animal.

• I am neutral on this issue.

• Total voters
S

Svenmonkey

This issue was brought up in my Spanish class today (specifically, whether bullfighting was a sport or whether it's torture) and I'm hopping mad about it. Bullfighting is nothing but a bunch of wussies on horseback torturing a bull with spears, then a little agile guy making sure he doesn't get hit by it. I can't stand it when people say that other animals don't have rights (and a few people in the class said just that).

Any abuse of an animal is pure evil. If I ever see someone abusing an animal, I'll show them some abuse.

Alright, lets hear your views...

M

MrXarvox

You're talking to the guy who once hit a kid with a stick for stepping on an insect.
Made him cry to his mama, and that was nothing compared to the pain that the bug felt.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Because I think that using animals for testing new drugs, or slaughtering them for their meat and/or their skins is okay (as long as it doesn't endanger the species), while I believe that torturing them like they do in bullfighting is BS.

IMHO...:D

M

MrXarvox

Torture and malicious killing= Mean and twisted.
Killing for food and other purposes= Survival, which is Ok.

I find testing drugs on animals to be a form of torture though. We have better methods nowadays than injecting a monkey and seeing what happens.

{and sven: they don't do the horseback thing any more in bullfighting. the bulls would sometimes gore the horses in the bellies and rip out their intestines. the agonized screams of a horse are, apparently, so horrific to hear that they stopped using horses.}

P

Prince RXI

Hey, listen Sven. There is no reason not to use SOME animals like we do... and who the heck TORTURES animals?!?!?! Animals may be abused by humans, but that is because the person abusing the animal is either drunk, stuiped, or oblivious of the pain of others. Using animals for food is, like it was stated earlier, survival. Using animals to test drugs and substances on is just there to be safe when it comes around to humans. The animals they use that stuff on are either half-dead, homeless, or raised to be used like that. I don't mean the animals are stuiped, I just mean that animals could help others if the are to die, have no real use, or are used to help others from the beginning. Just let it go.

Prince RXI, neutral to the end.

A

Avarweth

I figure medical testing is all right, if strict ethic guidelines are followed... If a monkey must suffer (hopefully only a little) to find a cure for cancer or AIDS... the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Something like that, anyway.

a big NONO to cosmetic research on animals. I won't buy makeup/hygeine products tested on animals. Cruelty without a purpose for the greater good... nope. Can't fathom it.

Meat/Skins? Again, if there's some sort of ethic guideline. But I don't think the animals are treated cruelly here, just killed.

I do have one beef with animal cruelty, though, and that's actually a beef with our justice system... if I walked over to my neighbor's house, and shot their dog, and one of their children, I'd most likely get more time in jail for the dog. Bah. What's up with that?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, it has been shown that when kids abuse animals for the fun of it (this might fall under "oblivious to pain" but more than likely, they ARE aware of the pain), they go on to bigger violent means later.

And I dn't think animals for research are "half-dead", what good would the results be? And not homeless either, you don't see researchers snatching animals off the street are making a run at the local shelter (and plus, there's no guarantee of the animal's pedigree or health history). Raised maybe, but that's not really an excuse.

And most of the animals aren't that similar to humans for the testing to be "safe", you'd probably need to go to the ape family for that.

B

Bob

The one good thing about bullfighting is they (supposedly) give the dead bull's meat to hungry children. I don't know if they really do that though.

S

Svenmonkey

The only thing I know about the meat is that they sell the testicles of the bull and make soup with them. Great.

I have heard, though, that the meat is just cut and sold at the market like any other beef, maybe more expensive.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by MrXarvox
I find testing drugs on animals to be a form of torture though. We have better methods nowadays than injecting a monkey and seeing what happens.
I mean, after they do all the lab work and everything? I'd rather see an animal that's been specifically bred for research being given a new drug first, before it's given to a human test subject.

And no, I wasn't really talking about cosmetics testing, though I'm of 2 opinions about that as well. I don't agree with gratuitous testing using gross amounts of a known carcinogen on an animal just to see what happens, but I can see using a new substance in the final stages of it's development on a test animal rather than using it directly on a human first.

A

Avarweth

Cosmetics don't need animals OR humans for testing... there are a lot of computer-generated tests that can model what would happen in an animal or human environment, and a lot of tissue tests that can verify it... tissue, that is, that's grown in a dish. Not shave-the-bunny-and-pour-shampoo-in-his-eyes.

Is the computer modeling and tissue testing good enough for cancer research? No. But it's good enough for perfume.

S

Svenmonkey

Well, the big issue for me with drug testing is that, before they test the drug, they have to give the animal the disease (ebola, cancer, etc.). Is that not just plain mean?

T

Tabasco

with Mr.X and Averweth

some things like cosmetics and crap is so stupid and pointless

How would we feel if some rats had the intelligence we do(or think we do) and then start hacking us up lke a butcher shop???

T

terzarima

I take sides with Sven and TICM.

Moo.

And I want to buy the Moby CD with the same title.

A

arhar

I have very strong feelings on animal rights!

I think all animals have a very important right that can't be denied at any circumstances - the right to be my dinner.

L

Lotus Mox

arhar, I think some tasty maggots should invoke their rights :)

L

laxweasel

Originally posted by arhar
I have very strong feelings on animal rights!

I think all animals have a very important right that can't be denied at any circumstances - the right to be my dinner.
You are sick. I hope you are eaten by the weasels I sent to your house.

I think the Native Americans had it right.
Note the poll says "torture." That was why I voted the way I did.