And so it begins again...the first Planeshift mechanic rumors!

• Thread starter Cateran Emperor
  • Start date
C

Cateran Emperor

The mechanics were initially in Spanish, but after having my friend translate it, the two new mechanics in Plaeshift will be as follows:

GATING - allows you to reduce the mana cost of a spell by unsummoning your own permanents.

FAMILIARS - are reverse Leeches. These DECREASE the cc of spells of the same color.

More to come soon, but man this came out of the woodwork fast!

V

Volradon

gating sounds strong and shuld be interesting while familiars are either gona be huge or noone will play them it really wont be in teh middle i think

D

Darsh

Gating-Sounds overly powerful, someone could easliy make a deck that takes big advantage over the bouncing.

Familiars-What is this? Wizards of RPG ripoff? It's a sure bet that the Familiars will be over-costed creatures or weak creatures, really these are just a reprints of the old Medallions just in creature form

F

FoundationOfRancor

I agree with her. *Points at Zero*

PS: What are you talking about?

A

Apollo

A long time ago, Duelist or something was talking about a mechanic...

they said they originally called it gating, but didn't think it was a good name, so they called it something else... I think it might have been fading...

guess they're running out of ideas, eh?

Anyway, gating may be good, but I'm sure the familiars are gonna suck.

U

Ura

Hmm, these abilities both sound kinda cool.
Though wasn't gating the nick name at least for the rebel and mercenary summoning abilities?
Otherwise it sounds like a modified version of dream halls from stronghold.

The familiars sounds really cool. If they're exact opposites of the leeches then it will reduce the colored part of the casting cost insted of the colorless as the medallions did. Sadly they'd be REALLY expensive of weaker the wet paper bags most likely.

T

Thrash Golem

I have a feeling you will be able to get out the green Familiar with some applied Gating and then, stompy is re-born!

D

DÛke

...if Gating is "real", then I think it's a cool, and totally new mechanic. It's not a "modified" version of Dream Halls (no offense Ura).
I hope WotC know exactly what they're doing. Gating seems a bit strong, and I hope they don't print the Ultimate Evil of the Most Broken Card Ever Printed ©.

As for the Familiars, I think they sound cool. How about a mono-colored deck with 2 of the Blue Leech and the 4 of the Blue Familiar? Heck, how about decks with Leeches and Familiars? I think we have something here: beat down machine for every color; unless WotC make the Familiars cost 4 and 5 that is.

I like what I'm seeing, and no, Apollo, they haven't ran out of ideas (GOD, I hate when someone says that.)

C

Cateran Emperor

I realized I never posted my own thoughts here :eek:

On gating, this should be really cool, but potentially REALLY unbalanced. WotC is walking a thin line here, since you can cast an instant speed gating spell in response to Wrath or Armageddon and save your stuff. This is, thankfully, not even close to the brokenness of the "untap X lands" mechanic (shudder) If they make the cards balanced, this mechanic will rock! Quick question for everyone though: why do you think WotC is now releasing the cool new mechanics in the middle of the block instead of in the first set and get the most out of it (fading...)?

I think you would word it like this:

Deny
3U
Instant
Gating 3(You may return up to 3 permanents you control to their owner's hand as you play this spell. Reduce the spell's mana cost by 1 for each permanent returned in this way.)
Counter target spell.

As for Familiars, I really like the idea of a deck using these and Leeches. Again, the trick is making them a worthwhile creature in addition to the ability. I'd like to see something like this:

Sapphire Familiar
1UU
Creature - Familiar
Blue spells you play cost U less to play.
Flying
2/2

Ruby Familiar
1RR
Creature - Familiar
Red spells you play cost R less to play.
First Strike
2/2

Alabaster Familiar
1WW
Creature - Familiar
White spells you play cost W less to play.
1: Prevent the next 1 damage that would be dealt to Alabaster Familiar.
1/3

Andradite Familiar
1BB
Creature - Familiar
Black spells you play cost B less to play.
B: +1/+1 until end of turn.
1/2

Emerald Familiar
1GG
Creature - Familiar
Green spells you play cost G less to play.
Trample
2/2

Just a thought.

[Edited by Cateran Emperor on 11-07-00 at 08:54 AM]

B

Baskil

I think the blue one is probably undercosted (if only for the fact that a 2/2 blue flyer usually costs 2U). The red one will probably cost 3R, if it's to be a 2/2 First Strike. The others are probably properly costed.

S

sentinel

Gating sounds really cool, though I agree it could be overpowered, as in:

opponent: wrath
you: instant gating spell (card drawing or life gain or something) return creatures to my hand. :)

The familiars will probably be really weak, and not see play.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

well don't you remember how freaking broken the medallions were/are they only cost two

Z

Zero

About gating being overpowerful in regards to mass or targeted kill spells.

It will just add more strategy and make wrath and geddon a little less dominant. Magic, IMHO (I just found out what that meant a little while ago, isnt that funny :) ), is alot like law. Theres an exception to evrey rule. This will jsut mean that you cant be certain that wrath and geddon will work 100%

Thanks for reading;)!

M

Mr_Pestilence

Considering we have no concrete details, I like the idea of "gating". Familiars? Eh...anything that makes spells cheaper is good, I guess.

C

Cateran Emperor

Note that that's how I guess that they would hypothetically look, not how they do look. I haven't found any actual cards just yet.

N

Neil Rigby

I think that gating sounds very strong but it is likely that there will be restrictions on what type of permanent you pick up, thus making them 'slightly' more difficult to play. Also on the familiar front, wizards would never, EEEVER (jerico) lower the colour part of a casting cost. The familiars cateran emperor printed would be way to powerful, Turn four blue leach, with counterspell back up, turn five cast another and feel free to tap out as much as i like because all my counterspells are free (unlikely to say the least), they will probably lower the generic part of the cc as the medallions did.
Just my thoughts and i hope i've not annoyed anyone with them, I am a friendly person.

H

Hetemti

Gating Goblin - 1R
Summon Goblin
You may return an enchantment to your hand instead of paying Gating Goblin's casting cost.
"It's foul stench dispels æther as well as crouds."
1/1

:plus:

Arial Defensive - 4G
Enchantment
You may return an untaped creature to your hand instead of paying Arial Defensive's casting cost.
All creatures you control may block creatures with Flying. Any creature blocked by a creature you control loses all abilities until end of combat.
"From Phyrexian scrap came new tools to the Coälition. With Viashinine skill and Llanowar determination, all the Debasers in Phyrexia were not enough to reach the Dark Heart of the Woods.

:plus:

Pandemonium - 3R
Enchantment
When any creature comes into play, Pandemonium deals damage equal to it's power to target creature or player...blah...blah...blah...
"A million R&D testers can check a millon cards and still let a broken one through."