An S.T.P.A. pre-States Tourney Report

Killer Joe

Struggling Tournament Player's Alliance pre-States Report

Hi All,
I'm back on-line at home after being only able to access from school which is hard to do since Marching Band season was going on and my server was down at home :(.

In about 36 hrs. the Pennsylvania State Championships will take place, in beautiful Downtown Pittsburgh, and I've just, moments ago, decided what to play at States!

Now, as you all know, I have been a BIG fan of all things Blue/Green, so it should be to no one's surprise that I'm choosing to play "U/G Opp" this weekend.

Here's MY list:
4 Opposition
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves
1 Call of the Herd
3 Repulse (should be Herds)
2 Rushing River (should be Spellbane Centaurs)
2 Spellbane Centaur
4 Fact or Fiction
4 Counterspell
4 Mystic Snake
4 Beast Attack
10 Island
10 Forest
4 Yavimaya Coast

SB//
3 Divert
3 Kavu Chameleon
3 Gainsay
2 Jungle Barrier
2 Dodecapod
2 Teferi's Response

Why this over my initial U/W Control?

Winning. U/W Control hasn't been proven yet in the brand spanking new Standard Environment. This seudo Benafel deck has.

That's it. Nada else.

<YJ waits for those who do not approve of "netdekking" to boo & hiss>

And that's okay with me because in two Tuesday's from now, I'll be heading to my local T2 tourney with my unreasearched version of Ceta/Storm. Nope, no advice please, I'm going at it alone! Comando.

Okay, so my net deck is a few sandwiches shy of a full picnic basket. I'm missing 3 Herds and 2 Spellbanes, but my replacements are quite the "Stuff".

Repulse and Rushing River are just DAMN GOOD!!!!!! I have seen them work their magic many a times, especially in "The Clutch" situation..............."Ahhhhh, go back to where you came from you damn dirty Spiritmonger!!!!" Also, I have no real enchantment removal for the mirror so Rushing River seemed to fit the bill nicely :).

I do want to make a note about Call of the Herd, I just got my first one tonight in a box I just bought and I never realized that it was a SORCERY!!!!!! Wud up wit dat!? Yo!

A friggin' Sorcery? Yeah, I have accelerated mana in the form of birdies and elves but I got to thinking that maybe, just maybe, Beast Attack is better. It has Instant speed and it's one bigger. I'm not so sure that the Herd is the better card.

If you've read Lincoln Quirk's article on starcity titled "Opposition in Standard" http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/print.php?Article=2154
then you pretty much know where I'm comming from on this.

I must've read that thing 10 times before it started to sink into my head that I shouldn't let 'Opposition' be a dirty word in my vocabulary (for the longest time it was the only Blue card I hated other than Aether Rift :)).

Am I really going to win states? Realistically, NO! Will I feel better about myself at the tournament playing yet another Net.dec?

YES.

And THAT'S okay. Because believe it or not, some of us will NEVER have the brain to come up with some of the best, yet undiscovered, combo's/synergy/most efficient/yadda, yadda, yadda........decks to play and dazzle my opponents with.

There, I said it. And I feel good about it :).

Also, I am going to invite myself to the Tuesday Night gathering down at "The Original Hot Dog" aka "The O" where team CMU and many other master players show their ware. Actually Nate Heiss said it's really an open invitation to anyone not annoying (Sorry Wonka, you can't go! :)).

What with the leaving of Arron Forsythe (moved to the West Coast) and John "Friggin" Rizzo (moved to Hell,.....or was that Maine? I once heard Maine wasn't actually at the end of the Earth, but you could see it from there <he-he> :)) from Team CMU, I figure I could go down there and fill up a chair or somethin'.

Oh, as for the title of this thread? I think it was Gizmo who first said it, and I know that I represent that portion of the CPA poulation, but you know what?....................

You guessed it; And THAT'S okay :)

I'll keep yinz updated as to how I'm doing within the time from now and 10 am (EDT) on Sunday Nov. 11 (exactly 2 month's after "9.11" ).

Wish me Luck!