An irritating little 'feature'

I

Istanbul

Duke has sent me a post offering to trade.

I cannot respond to him.

Why? Simple. Duke has that funny U thing in his name, which is a special character. Since I don't know how to type in that weird little symbol, I can't respond to him.

More importantly, when I click 'Send a Reply', it does *not* automatically put the name of the sender of the original PM in as the recipient of my reply.

Ed?

D

DÛke

...copy, then paste.
I know it might be hard, but you got to learn sometimes.

(Hey, I'm just joking, I'm not trying to be abrasive again. I was joking, please don't kill me.)

R

Rando

I just thought that I would mention this...

Since the thingy is above the "U" in DUke's name, it means that the vowel is pronounced long. Because of this, the "e" at the end is not needed. But, with the "e", and the thingy above the "U", DUke's name should really be pronounced "dukey".

I think that is what I shall call him from now on, Dukey.

Hi there Dukey! What's up?

D

DÛke

You're not the only one who discovered how to say my name! Purple Girl always calls me "Dukey", or atleast, over PM she does. Sadely, you and Purple Girl are the only ones who figured it out! It's Dukey, not Duke.

It puts a tear in my eye to finally, after 2 and a half years of being under this screen name, 2 people realize that it's "Dukey" rather than Duke. God bless you both:)!

N

nodnarb24

I knew that but is it REALLY worth it to put that "y" when it is just easier to put Duke.

N

nodnarb24

if you want the "Û" hold alt and type 0219. When you release the "Û" will be made.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

To make the "Û" (which should be the U with the pointy hat, but looks weird here) hold the Alt key, then press 0, then let go, then press 2, then let go, then press 2, then let go, then press 1, then let go, then press 9, then let go.

Unless you use a Mac, in which case I can't help you. No one can.

Z

Zhaneel

actually, i've found that it works with just a capital 'U'

i can't spell!! grr...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
for a minute, getting back to the original topic...

Istanbul: I wrote about "Sending a Reply" not working a couple weeks ago in Suggestion (something titled 'PM Problems'). Ed said he's aware of it but doesn't know why it's not working. So I think this is a bug, not a feature.

Not being able to delete posts IS a feature, however (I know you didn't mention it, but that seems to be the only other real change of the new boards).

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion on DUke's name... :)

D

DÛke

No, no, no, naa! Not "Dookie", that's another word, if you know what I mean. "Dukey" is my name, and why sure, it does sound like "Dookie", but "Dukey" in my dictionary sounds like a "cuddely, soft bear". You could call me "Duke" or "Dukey", people who know me really well, like Django, call me "Dukester". Please don't go above the limits with this, it's just my stupid name, that's all. :)

T

theorgg

The name 'Dukey' reminds me of a joke I heard recently:

Why did Tigger look into the toilet?

He was looking for Pooh.